Thread: Esophageal cancer worry

Esophageal cancer worry

I’m 33 so I know it’s rare. For the past couple months I’ve had a worsening sore throat, increasing hoarse voice, a need to clear my throat, and trouble with things occasionally getting stuck in my throat while swallowing. I used to dip tobacco about ten years ago. I’ve started drinking a little heavier the past couple months. I’ve had untreated reflux for all these years. I feel I’ve ignored things and now it’s come to the worst.

Re: Esophageal cancer worry

Perhaps stop drinking, look into taking a PPI and following the FODMAP diet?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It sounds very much like reflux.

It does sound very much like reflux / GERD, and that will only be exacerbated by drinking. I have had all these same symptoms for over a decade. I've never been big on drinking, but I still have to be careful when I decide to have a few, otherwise these symptoms are much more uncomfortable.

I started Nexium the day after I post this. I’ve never had the issue with swallowing and the feeling to clear my throat. I just worry all the years of it being untreated have cause irreversible damage. It never bothered me or maybe I just became used to it.

I’ve been never really had trouble swallowing. I worry all the years of it being untreated have caused irreversible damage.

I agree, it sounds like reflux. If you are very concerned, make an appt with a gastro and they can steer you in the direction of medications and foods that can really help with that.

Just following up, I had a physical and yearly checkup/blood test with my doctor this week and brought up my symptoms and concerns. She suspects I could have strictures and is in the process of trying to get me a referral with a Gastro. Though the appointment itself could be months away due to Covid being hard in our area. So I guess we will go from here.

Thread Information