Thread: Itchy breasts?

Itchy breasts?

Sorry for TMI. The last few months I have had the most agonising itching around both nipples. I'm not breastfeeding. I've had like, oozing from both, not from the nipple itself but where I've been scratching. I got some nipple cream and that has helped a lot but wondered what could be causing this? I have worried about breast cancer but the likihood of both being effected I know is small. Anyone had anything similar? I've considered allergy but there's no other part of my body itching so I've ruled out fabric cleaners and stuff like that x

Re: Itchy breasts?

Hi I have had this and with me it turned out to be something called duct ectasia. But that usually involves nipple discharge as well. Yours sounds more like a contact allergy maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    Sorry for TMI. The last few months I have had the most agonising itching around both nipples. I'm not breastfeeding. I've had like, oozing from both, not from the nipple itself but where I've been scratching. I got some nipple cream and that has helped a lot but wondered what could be causing this? I have worried about breast cancer but the likihood of both being effected I know is small. Anyone had anything similar? I've considered allergy but there's no other part of my body itching so I've ruled out fabric cleaners and stuff like that x
    my mother has this! She itches so much sometimes she causes bleeding on herself. The doctor diagnosed her with atopic dermatitis of the nipple. It could be the material of the bra that you’re having a reaction to. It could be the type of body wash/soap that only that area is more sensitive to! So many things!

I also had the same issue on just one nipple, not to the extent of my mothers but enough for the itch to drive me crazy. I was prescribed hydrocortisone cream. I used it for about a week and it went away! Now, to prevent it, I don’t use any fragrant soaps on that area, I’ll use Hibiclens to wash that area. I lotion my breasts with Cetaphil (any dermatologist brand works) after showering. I also try to switch out bras often if I sweat. Things like that!

Quote Originally Posted by *anxious_mari* View Post
    my mother has this! She itches so much sometimes she causes bleeding on herself. The doctor diagnosed her with atopic dermatitis of the nipple. It could be the material of the bra that you’re having a reaction to. It could be the type of body wash/soap that only that area is more sensitive to! So many things!

I also had the same issue on just one nipple, not to the extent of my mothers but enough for the itch to drive me crazy. I was prescribed hydrocortisone cream. I used it for about a week and it went away! Now, to prevent it, I don’t use any fragrant soaps on that area, I’ll use Hibiclens to wash that area. I lotion my breasts with Cetaphil (any dermatologist brand works) after showering. I also try to switch out bras often if I sweat. Things like that!
    A fragrance-free moisturizer can help prevent itching from dry skin on the breasts or any other area on your skin. Switch skin care products. If you use soaps, detergents, or other products that are heavily scented or contain sodium lauryl sulfate, they could be drying out and irritating your breasts.

My Health Calculator

https://www.doihealthy.com

Thanks for your replies. I actually Googled nipple cream just after I posted original message, and found one and it's worked wonders! It's supposed to be for breast feeding mums but thought why not. Its called Lanolin. Still have a slight itch but nothing like before and its stopped looking all inflamed. Thanks for all the advice

Thread Information