Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pre 1990's Feel Good Music

Re: Pre 1990's Feel Good Music

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Lenco, suggest deleting this as you're quoting what Admin will have deleted.
    What's controversial about 'Naff off'?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    What's controversial about 'Naff off'?
    He had quoted the spam itself which Admin sometimes miss when we click report. Years before Lenco joined they asked us not to do it to save them time.

Trying not to spiral today so instead of dwelling this seems a better thread to add to rather than having a whine .
    So from my pioneer stack we had to add the cd deck , I did miss the ceremony of a new vinyl record carefully taking it out of the sleeve taking care not to touch the grooves ( Groovy ) only for the static to attract every bit of dust the room to gather up on the needle like a fur ball , now we had the CD that apparently couldn’t be scratched , my first cd was Metallica black album which I’d had on vinyl and seen live but on cd it was fantastic and still is , a song I will never tire of Is Metallica Nothing else matters , it’s come with with from vinyl to cd to mp3 and is firmly planted in my mind for ever , well my ever anyway , and apparently even dementia struggles to delete music from our brains .
    Im going to try and come up with my top ten pre 90s music but this does change from day to day and depends on my mood , don’t you just hate it when you play a song to someone that you think is the bees knees and they hate it ? My daughter sent me a song she loves and was gutted that I said I didn’t like it .
    Top ten ummmmm ?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster70 View Post
    Trying not to spiral today so instead of dwelling this seems a better thread to add to rather than having a whine .
    So from my pioneer stack we had to add the cd deck , I did miss the ceremony of a new vinyl record carefully taking it out of the sleeve taking care not to touch the grooves ( Groovy ) only for the static to attract every bit of dust the room to gather up on the needle like a fur ball , now we had the CD that apparently couldn’t be scratched , my first cd was Metallica black album which I’d had on vinyl and seen live but on cd it was fantastic and still is , a song I will never tire of Is Metallica Nothing else matters , it’s come with with from vinyl to cd to mp3 and is firmly planted in my mind for ever , well my ever anyway , and apparently even dementia struggles to delete music from our brains .
    Im going to try and come up with my top ten pre 90s music but this does change from day to day and depends on my mood , don’t you just hate it when you play a song to someone that you think is the bees knees and they hate it ? My daughter sent me a song she loves and was gutted that I said I didn’t like it .
    Top ten ummmmm ?
    Sorry to sound pedantic, but I thought that Metallica record was from 1991, even though they were never quite my cup of tea.

Also how wrong were we with the belief that CDs would never scratch or deteriorate?

Of course we never hear the scratches, specks of airborne dust/dirt and other 'surface noises' on CDs like we do on vinyl records due to the fact that they're read digitally by a laser beam rather than from direct contact by a stylus (analogue) but most ironically there have been many instances of LPs actually far outlasting some CDs.

I think both formats will always have their place despite the challenges from digital downloads and streaming.

Stoopid mistake Ive brought a 91 into a pre 90 thread , my memory is shite but now I think about it I had master of puppets on vinyl and the give away that the black cd was after 90 is my daughter was born in 90 and I’d only turn it way up when she was out of the house , scratch that from my top ten then .
    Remember the giant laser discs before cd’s and dvd’s , about 12” or more , then mini discs .

Stoopid mistake Ive brought a 91 into a pre 90 thread , my memory is shite but now I think about it I had master of puppets on vinyl and the give away that the black cd was after 90 is my daughter was born in 90 and I’d only turn it way up when she was out of the house , scratch that from my top ten then .
    Remember the giant laser discs before cd’s and dvd’s , about 12” or more , then mini discs .
    Those laser discs (the size of vinyl LPs) I think we're double-sided (like most vinyl records) but played like CDs, DVDs, etc, and were one of the original progenitors of the DVD format.

I think Pioneer were the foremost purveyors of the LD format, but strangely it never really seemed to catch on here in the UK, in spite of it seeming well ahead of its time.

I think some models (like DVD and BD players later on) also doubled up as an audio CD player, despite the significant size difference between LDs and CDs.

MDs also were a great audio format during their relatively shortlived heyday, but nowadays we have the ability to record and reproduce the highest-ever quality audio and video recordings on solid-state 'chips' like SD cards on the move with battery-powered portable devices, which even as late as the mid-90s would have seemed like the stuff of sci-fi, when and where a top-of-the-range Sony Hi-8 (analogue) camcorder with an on-board stereo sound microphone was as good as it gets for the consumer market.

Not only do I remember laser discs but I also remember the CED system, which was analogue: a friend had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    ...but nowadays we have the ability to record and reproduce the highest-ever quality audio and video recordings on solid-state 'chips' like SD cards on the move with battery-powered portable devices, which even as late as the mid-90s would have seemed like the stuff of sci-fi
    My cousin and I foresaw this in the late 70s. Pity we couldn't have developed it... but we were fourteen at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post

(video link removed due to posting limitations)

Can't help but dance to this!

I say 'dance'.. I'm uncoordinated as hell but I can do a decent knee shuffle and head bop.
    I remember cycling to the 'cool' record shop in town to buy that very LP which naturally, I still have. I preferred "Let's Groove" myself

An excerpt of this forms the ringtone on my phone:

And a little bit later (!!)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information