Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Vaccine Fear

Second Vaccine Fear

Hi all,

I hope you are doing well. I’ve not been on here in a while, well have lurked but not logged in I guess.
    My health anxiety has been at an all time high the last year and I’m trying to get help for it but it is very bad.

My latest thing I’ve become fixated on is getting the COVID Vaccine. I managed to get my first Pfizer shot in July and even that was a big step for me as I kept cancelling it and then I finally felt ready.

After my first vaccine, I had some bad effects but I was okay after a few days, I ended up getting health checks done by the GP and they cleared me to get my second dose, which could be tomorrow as they have walk in clinics rather than appointments. I just keep changing my mind again, like last week I was meant to get it, week before I was meant to get it too and just couldn’t go. Every time I feel ready, someone will send me a scary article or put me off or I accidentally stumble across something frightening. I guess I’m just posting this for reassurance that it wasn’t all bad as what I’m thinking, if you’ve had your second?

I know COVID is awful as I know a couple of people who sadly passed away from it or were severely ill. I just get so anxious over the unknowns and just not wanting to have any awful side effect. My first one gave me bad palpitations (heart rate was 170BPM) and tightness in my chest, so I was a bit worried about second though good that I’ve had the all clear from GP.

Ugh, I just wish I wasn’t so worried. A lot of people in my life just went and got the vaccine, no problem at all for them. I’m such a worrier :(

Re: Second Vaccine Fear

Quote Originally Posted by pandaloverx View Post
    Hi all,

I hope you are doing well. I’ve not been on here in a while, well have lurked but not logged in I guess.
    My health anxiety has been at an all time high the last year and I’m trying to get help for it but it is very bad.

My latest thing I’ve become fixated on is getting the COVID Vaccine. I managed to get my first Pfizer shot in July and even that was a big step for me as I kept cancelling it and then I finally felt ready.

After my first vaccine, I had some bad effects but I was okay after a few days, I ended up getting health checks done by the GP and they cleared me to get my second dose, which could be tomorrow as they have walk in clinics rather than appointments. I just keep changing my mind again, like last week I was meant to get it, week before I was meant to get it too and just couldn’t go. Every time I feel ready, someone will send me a scary article or put me off or I accidentally stumble across something frightening. I guess I’m just posting this for reassurance that it wasn’t all bad as what I’m thinking, if you’ve had your second?

I know COVID is awful as I know a couple of people who sadly passed away from it or were severely ill. I just get so anxious over the unknowns and just not wanting to have any awful side effect. My first one gave me bad palpitations (heart rate was 170BPM) and tightness in my chest, so I was a bit worried about second though good that I’ve had the all clear from GP.

Ugh, I just wish I wasn’t so worried. A lot of people in my life just went and got the vaccine, no problem at all for them. I’m such a worrier :(
    IMO, the chances of getting bad side effects from the jab is still by far more remote compared to the bad effects of Covid itself.

In fact, we're probably far more at risk of being run over by buses on a daily basis than developing severe vaccine-related side effects.

Also it's possible to develop serious side effects from practically all other medications in existence but we don't usually tend to give them as much as a second thought.

Were the palpitations and chest tightness vaccine related or anxiety related?

I got the Moderna vaccine - both times I had to wait 15 minutes afterwards before I could leave, and both times I swore that I was feeling off and going to get really ill. But both times I walked out of there and was totally fine. First shot I had a sore arm, the second I was down for a couple of days with fever, but I usually feel crummy with the flu shot so that wasn't really surprising. Ultimately I was fine and it's protected me from covid so far, which is great!

You can do this.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Hi Poppy did you ever manage to get your second jab? I’m in exactly the same position. I had my first one way back in July and that took close to 7 months for me to get the courage. I’ve now cancelled lots of times, tried to go to the walk in centre numerous times and walked away. I have a history of allergies and on my first jab I had a reaction that started a few hours after. I was told anything over 4 hours isn’t classed as a serious allergic response but worried that that may be worse. It wasn’t serious but my HA was on full alert. Also I had chest pains which I put down to chest wall pain (I have lupus and this has happened once before) but now I wish is got it checked as I’m too scared to have the vaccine 🤦*♀️
    I hope you managed to do it. I’m going to try walk in again today

Good luck, Trixie. I hope you are able to go through with it if you truly want to have your 2nd jab.

Thanks so much Pulisa. The problem I have is my health anxiety is so bad I don’t want anything medical however i have children at school and am classed as high risk so am equally as scared of covid 😢

You don't want "anything medical" so you won't want to put yourself at risk of hospitalisation if you were to get covid in view of your lupus. If you have school age children then you will be at more risk of picking it up from them.

What does your GP advise? What do YOU want to do? I wouldn't overthink this...It will make your anxiety worse. It sounds as if you were fine after your first jab. Don't confuse physical symptoms of anxiety with a significant reaction to vaccination?

Thanks so much. You are very right about the hospital and complications. I’ve re booked for tomorrow and will try to just get up and only think, “this stops me having complications.” Thank you x

If I’m honest I don’t want it but I know that’s still the fear not anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie01 View Post
    If I’m honest I don’t want it but I know that’s still the fear not anything else
    Remember the "this stops me having complications" mantra so you do NEED it even though you're afraid and wanting to avoid it? Thoughts are just thoughts. The fact is that you need to protect yourself as much as you can and you have to do this for your family as well. You can do this for them too x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information