Thread: Nocturnal panic attacks

Nocturnal panic attacks

Hi all, I致e suffered from anxiety/depression/ panic attacks for years. When I知 going through a bad time, as I am at the moment, my panics come in the middle of the night. I absolutely hate this as I feel so alone then and the night seems endless. I spend hours just trying to keep the panic at bay. I don稚 like the dark either and think I also suffer from SAD. I知 wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can do and to keep my triggering thoughts at bay. Any help would be appreciated as I知 already afraid for tonight. Many thanks.

Re: Nocturnal panic attacks

lavender spray helped me a little as did doing crosswords/wordsearches when i woke and occasionally using rescue remedy, they are horrendous when they happen, i had them friday night but was ok last night now for 3 night shifts, hope you find a way to cope with them xx

Thank you. I’ve got some lavender somewhere, I’ll dig it out. I’ll try the wordsearch too. It’s all about distraction I suppose.

also try the herbal kalms night or normal kalms, i find they do help even 10+ years later

Firstly, I always say: get professional help for your anxiety, and don't be afraid to use meds if they are needed.

Now to answer your question: managing my panic attacks was made possible when thanks to my therapist I realised that I can't control them.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy6 View Post
    I spend hours just trying to keep the panic at bay
    I did that too. The more I tried to avoid or control them, the worse they were. Once I qas ready to teel myself "ok. I can't control whether it will happen or not but I'm ready for it! Let it happen!" the panic attacks stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy6 View Post
    I知 already afraid for tonight.
    And thats exactly where the problem lies. Resisting it builds up more pressure. If you think about it, a panic attack is unpleasant and scary, but... you had many of them and nothing actually happened. You did not have a [insert your personal anxiety ]. You are still here!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I am an hgv driver and I often get panic attacks when I'm sleeping in my vehicle. Just started getting a mental health support, hoping that the sessions will help me with my panic attacks.
    Last edited by janglos199; 04-05-22 at 13:00.

Thread Information