Thread: What are some things that help you cope?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are some things that help you cope?

TW: illness

How do you cope with the fear of the unknown? Even if I feel fine, I just have fears of heart attacks, strokes, seizures, etc. occurring and it's so annoying because it ruins my day.

Re: What are some things that help you cope?

Quote Originally Posted by Aundremyles View Post
    TW: illness

How do you cope with the fear of the unknown? Even if I feel fine, I just have fears of heart attacks, strokes, seizures, etc. occurring and it's so annoying because it ruins my day.
    My heart goes out to you. Im currently feeling this way about my own list of stuff. I try to tell myself that no one knows what their future holds. Worry, anxiety, & stress only take moments away from whatever time we have, and don't do anything to give us more time. Like I said im going through it too so I don't have the best answer, but I pray we find peace with it all soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry you're struggling, I hope things improve and your fear(s) will subside.

What worked for me was a combination of meds, therapy, mindfulness and hard work. I don't think I'll ever be completely cured, but I don't live my life in a state of torment any more. Feel free to ask me any questions you want.

I have a lot of things that I do to cope. Sometimes I try all of them and nothing works. Other days are better.

Probably the thing that helps me the most is to try and “make the good” in my life. My depression, anxiety, and ptsd tire me out, but I usually feel better when I do small things for other people. I send cards and notes to my grandchildren, friends, and even my doctors (thank you notes).

I used to crochet and make hotpads to give to neighbors, friends, and even nurses. Alas, I’ve got wrist problems and can’t crochet right now.

Nevertheless, doing these kind of things usually provides a nice distraction for me, doesn’t require much energy, and gives me something to smile about.

My therapist also started me writing in a gratitude journal everyday. This has turned into a beautiful thing for me. I find I have much to be grateful for. I forget that when I’m stressed.

When I’m worried about some physical symptom (which is most of the time), my therapist has been having me make a mental list of all the things that are working well in my body. I’m amazed at how many things my body does well - I digest food, I blink, I swallow, I think, I breathe, etc.

I also have religious beliefs that I’ve been turning to more and more. Instead of thinking of death and disease with fear, I’ve been reminding myself of how beautiful heaven will be. I think of seeing my mother again along with so many other people who love me. I think of the overflowing love that will be there. It actually makes me grateful that I will die and get to go to such a place.

These are just some of the things that help me. I think we need a whole Arsenal. I’m far from cured, but I’m grateful for the things I’ve learned. I’ve finally found a therapist that makes me feel empowered. ( I encourage all of you to keep looking until you find that. ) And, I’m actually having some moments and even some hours filled with peace. I’m making progress. Yay!!!

Best to all of you,
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Cptdebbie View Post
    I have a lot of things that I do to cope. Sometimes I try all of them and nothing works. Other days are better.

Probably the thing that helps me the most is to try and “make the good” in my life. My depression, anxiety, and ptsd tire me out, but I usually feel better when I do small things for other people. I send cards and notes to my grandchildren, friends, and even my doctors (thank you notes).

I used to crochet and make hotpads to give to neighbors, friends, and even nurses. Alas, I’ve got wrist problems and can’t crochet right now.

Nevertheless, doing these kind of things usually provides a nice distraction for me, doesn’t require much energy, and gives me something to smile about.

My therapist also started me writing in a gratitude journal everyday. This has turned into a beautiful thing for me. I find I have much to be grateful for. I forget that when I’m stressed.

When I’m worried about some physical symptom (which is most of the time), my therapist has been having me make a mental list of all the things that are working well in my body. I’m amazed at how many things my body does well - I digest food, I blink, I swallow, I think, I breathe, etc.

I also have religious beliefs that I’ve been turning to more and more. Instead of thinking of death and disease with fear, I’ve been reminding myself of how beautiful heaven will be. I think of seeing my mother again along with so many other people who love me. I think of the overflowing love that will be there. It actually makes me grateful that I will die and get to go to such a place.

These are just some of the things that help me. I think we need a whole Arsenal. I’m far from cured, but I’m grateful for the things I’ve learned. I’ve finally found a therapist that makes me feel empowered. ( I encourage all of you to keep looking until you find that. ) And, I’m actually having some moments and even some hours filled with peace. I’m making progress. Yay!!!

Best to all of you,
    Debbie
    What a great place. And love the ideas!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Thread Information