Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to find a vaccination centre that's open

Struggling to find a vaccination centre that's open

Hi all. I was lucky enough to have my first jab back in May because my practice got hold of a vial of Astra Zeneca, but they aren't putting on a second one. So now I need a second jab and it's down to me to arrange it myself, but the centres are places like Wadebridge (about 15 miles away) for an hour on Sunday between 9 am and 10 am. I don't drive and am agoraphobic anyway.

So I'm not really going anywhere and am getting stressed when I see the number of cases rising, particularly in Cornwall which is a Covid hotspot at the moment and so many people unlike me aren't wearing their masks.

Anyone else in the same or a similar boat?

Thanks for reading this,

Graham .
    Last edited by graham58; 29-10-21 at 21:45.

Re: Struggling to find a vaccination centre that's open

You're going to have to choose one fear over the other.

Yes, I spent about 5 weeks trying to book in for my 1st because there were no slots in my city. It was so bad at one point it was telling me to go to other cities that are 2 hours and more away. As it started to improve I tried again only to be hit with the same problem with the 2nd jab and you couldn't book in for the 1st without it.

In the end pulisa gave me the idea to book the 1st, which there were a few slots locally, and book in anywhere for the 2nd which I would then cancel after the 1st jab was done. Doing this got me started and I soon noticed 2nd jab slots popping up that weren't there before.

Could you mix the vaccines? My parents are being told this may be happening for them. Mum had AZ but it will be Pfizer for her booster.

Hi Graham,

Sorry to hear you're struggling. I'm in Devon and we had to drive to Plymouth for my boyfriends and Taunton for mine!

It's definitely worth getting the second. Could someone give you a lift to Wadebridge? Or is there a bigger centre in Bodmin or Newquay? Maybe see if any pharmacies are doing walk ins or anything like that. I've got family in Camborne who recently got boosters so there definitely are open places, but I know that's a little way from you.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    Hi Graham,

Sorry to hear you're struggling. I'm in Devon and we had to drive to Plymouth for my boyfriends and Taunton for mine!

It's definitely worth getting the second. Could someone give you a lift to Wadebridge? Or is there a bigger centre in Bodmin or Newquay? Maybe see if any pharmacies are doing walk ins or anything like that. I've got family in Camborne who recently got boosters so there definitely are open places, but I know that's a little way from you.
    It does seem to be the SW region of England (and of course Wales) that seems to be copping the brunt of Covid right now.

Kind of ironic considering both Wales and SW England seemed to get off more lightly earlier in the pandemic.

Thanks to everyone who's replied.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    Hi Graham,

Thanks Elizabeth. The Wadebridge one is literally the only one at the moment in Cornwall that is offering vaccinations - and it's only for an hour every week, from 9 am to 10 am on Sundays. Ridiculous under the circumstances. I may have to try Plymouth or even further afield.

[P.S. I've just checked again and you're right - there is one in Camborne but it doesn't offer Astra Zeneca, which was what my first jab was.]
    Last edited by graham58; 27-11-21 at 14:59.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yes, I spent about 5 weeks trying to book in for my 1st because there were no slots in my city. It was so bad at one point it was telling me to go to other cities that are 2 hours and more away. As it started to improve I tried again only to be hit with the same problem with the 2nd jab and you couldn't book in for the 1st without it.

In the end pulisa gave me the idea to book the 1st, which there were a few slots locally, and book in anywhere for the 2nd which I would then cancel after the 1st jab was done. Doing this got me started and I soon noticed 2nd jab slots popping up that weren't there before.

Could you mix the vaccines? My parents are being told this may be happening for them. Mum had AZ but it will be Pfizer for her booster.
    Thanks Terry. AFAIK you're not allowed to mix the vaccines but I might try asking my doctor if it's better than going without.

Quote Originally Posted by graham58 View Post
    Thanks Terry. AFAIK you're not allowed to mix the vaccines but I might try asking my doctor if it's better than going without.
    I'm sure they're being mixed for the third booster doses (Pfizer only AFAIK), but still not really sure about the second doses.

Quote Originally Posted by graham58 View Post
    Thanks Elizabeth. The Wadebridge one is literally only the one at the moment in Cornwall that is offering vaccinations - and it's only for an hour every week, from 9 am to 10 am on Sundays. Ridiculous under the circumstances. I may have to try Plymouth or even further afield.

[P.S. I've just checked again and you're right - there is one in Camborne but it doesn't offer Astra Zeneca, which was what my first jab was.]
    Yes that is really pitiful! My partner got Moderna at Plymouth, they may do AZ as well so could be worth checking. Bit of a journey but can you get to Bodmin via bus and then train? Might be worth doing - I know it'll be tough with your agoraphobia but if you can do it its definitely the right thing to do. Or yeah speak to your dr about mixing, I know they've done it in other countries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information