Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Absolutely freaking out...colonoscopy referral.

Re: Asked to attend Colonoscopy consultation. Terrified now!

Hi, thank you so, so much for replying! I’ve never gone through anything like this before so I don’t know how it works. Everything I’ve read about the colonoscopy referrals says you’ll see the consultant on the day just before the procedure. Nothing about being called in earlier for a chin wag. All that’s going through my mind is ‘he’s seen something alarming in the results and wants me in quick’. Part of me is hoping he’s seen virtually nothing in the results and wants to cancel the whole thing as waste of time.
    but thank you again for the reply. I’m so, so scared about all this I’m being triggered by the slightest thing and just that response helps a lot.

Re: Absolutely freaking out...colonoscopy referral.

You are welcome and yes it is standard practice and more so at the moment during the Covid crisis as they don't want to be doing unnecessary procedures.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

You don’t know how much that’s helped ease my anxiety. Thank you so much!

Any updates on the scope? Everything turn out fine?

Hi, thanks for checking in, appreciate it. Well, long story short…it hasn’t happened. Yet. Basically the process through the NHS (which, don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely happy is there) was a nightmare of not being listened to, no information, being rushed and triggered etc. which was making my anxiety intolerable. So, I put my hand in my pocket and forked out for a private consult. Which was amazing. He listened to all my questions, game me tons of info, and he basically decided that it was perhaps a good idea to give it a little time and explore some other options first such as diet changes, physio, try to get anxiety and stress under control etc. mainly as my symptoms were and are pretty much disappeared. Also my fit test was only just over the cut off number for negative, so he wasn’t too concerned.
    so after that I felt a lot more at ease.
    the way it’s left is that if at any point I feel it needs looking at, I give him a call and get the ball rolling. I’m very lucky in the fact that I can afford (ish) to do things this way. The NHS is full of very stressed, very rushed and harried staff who are doing there level best under the circumstances, but the net result for me is that it’s incredibly anxiety provoking.
    so yeah…we shall see. But if I even slightly suspect things aren’t right, I’m straight on the phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information