Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolutely freaking out...colonoscopy referral.

Scared of bowel issues! Highly anxious!

Hi,
    I have some bowel / stool issues and think I’m trying to get some reassurance if nothing else. I’ll try to be brief.
    long term anxiety + very severe health anxiety and autistic. I’ve been going through a long spell of anxiety and stress on and off since April, but it had calmed a bit recently. ‘Normally’ I get up about 7ish, have my breakfast and then usually with half an hour have a BM, and the another probably within an hour. Usually all good. Lately, perhaps for the last fortnight things have changed a bit. It started when I was having to occasionally go mid afternoon, just a little bit. Then, in the mornings it began to be a deep lower back ache and a sense of urgency and loose, mushy stool, very quickly followed by another. The back ache vanishes the moment I ‘open up’. Now, for the last 4-5 days I’m being woken up by the back ache at about 5-6 and within 10 mins or so of getting up very urgently needing the toilet and it’s consistently mushy and on the second time often watery.
    ive just had to go today for the third time, it again was mushy and particularly bad smelling.
    its all normal colour, no blood, bit mucus-y occasionally. No weight loss, no vomiting, tiredness or fever. I do get a bit bloated after food and feel quite full quite quickly.
    could this be ibs?
    ive had similar issues before but it tends to be just a day or two rather than weeks. I’ve looked it up but I don’t have cramps or stomach pains. It’s really a bit irregular, very urgent in the morning, back ache and loose stool.
    I could probably do with more fibre in my diet lately, and I suspect I’m getting too hot at night. I eat fairly well, not a lot of processed food, no fizzy drinks or caffeine.
    Anyway…I’m quietly freaking out. I did put on my brave trousers and call the doctor but they only do telephone appointments now and ‘I have to take my chances and call in the morning’. Just the thought of the gp and the idea of tests and waiting for results sends me into a total tail spun. So just wanted to ask you good folk if you’ve experienced similar.

Freaking out about tests…

Hi posted yesterday about my worries about the persistent loose stools. Finally called the gp this morning and he’s asking me to do a stool sample. Apart from the massive anxiety of having to wait for the results, like a twit I started googling and saw that ibs shares a lot of symptoms with bowel cancer.
    So you can imagine what’s going through my mind, or what’s currently left of it.
    I am freaking out! Would a stool sample show for BC? My only symptom is for a fortnight I have persistent loose stool in the morning, with a bit of back ache that goes afterwards. Touch of bloating and the odd cramp. No blood, fever, weight loss etc.
    keep trying to rationalise things as I’m extremely anxious and have raving health anxiety. Plus I’m very stressed most of this year.
    but this isn’t helping!
    thoughts?

Re: Freaking out about tests…

It's going to be nothing, what you're talking about is a reaction to stress and anxiety, or possibly IBS.

Thanks for replying, really appreciate it a lot. Deep down I think I know you’re right. Panic, anxiety stress etc has been almost constant this year and is a pretty constant background to my life generally. Health anxiety particularly. It’s just the fact that this loose stool, urgency thing in the mornings just seems to be incessant. Even when I’m feeling quite chilled it still happens the next day. Just picked up the kit for a stool sample (3 of them) and now the eating game which will be a challenge. I suppose I’m doing something proactive.
    the constant anxiety, hyper vigilance, what’s ifs and so on are wearing me out. Again, thanks for the reply. Means a lot.

It's okay, I get how sometimes things seem to be overwhelming. I have my fair share of freakouts, too.

I wish they’d stop so I can get on with my days. Envy people who can compartmentalise.

Absolutely freaking out...colonoscopy referral.

Hi,
    Just off the phone to docs who said blood and signs of inflammation have been found in my stool sample, so they're referring me for a colonoscopy in two weeks time to check for bowel cancer. Been having a few weeks of loose stool in the morning. regular but just very loose. No visible blood, no weight loss, fever etc. Just that. Plus some niggly aches and pains in gut and back but thats pretty standard for me.
    Im absolutely loosing it right now...doctor said about 20% of those who go have a positive diagnosis.
    I don't know quite how im going to get through the next two weeks I really don't. How do you just 'carry on' when thats hanging over you? Ive beer been to hospital before, never been through anything like this.
    Sorry if this is a bit frantic...just needed to get it off my chest a bit.

Asked to attend Colonoscopy consultation. Terrified now!

I’ve been posting a few times on here because I’ve been so anxious about a colonoscopy referral that’s in a few weeks. I’ve just kind of been holding on, but I’ve just had a phone call asking me to go to a consultation this Friday. Now I’m freaking out that they’ve seen my referral and are super concerned or something. I’ve never read or heard anything about someone getting a consult beforehand!!
    the person who called said ‘ooh it’s nothing to worry about it’s pretty normal’. Is it? I mean she can’t say anything can she?
    really really scared now!

Re: Asked to attend Colonoscopy consultation. Terrified now!

It is normal to see a consultant before getting any procedure done so you really have nothing to worry about.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Absolutely freaking out...colonoscopy referral.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information