Thread: Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine

Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine

Hi everyone,

I have been on venlafaxine for over 10 years and have always been stable. Until now. Had a massive massive crash.

Anyway first my venlafaxine was increased. After 4 weeks I was still awfully anxious and agitated without having any benefit at all from the dose increase so my GP reduced me back down to my original dose because she thought that the increase might actually be making me worse. She has consulted a psychiatrist about adding in mirtazapine. I’ve never taken this before.

Has anyone else ever taken these two drugs together. Has it been helpful? Just need some reassurance and also some tips on what I can expect if anyone has any.

Thank you

Re: Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine

Hi Sara, I've been on both venlafaxine and mirtazapine for some years now, about 2012 I think. I was changed over to the Ven from paroxetine which was reduced and then stopped while upping the Ven dose. I seem to remember having trouble sleeping. So I was prescribed nitrazapam but didn't get on with it.

That's when I was put on mirtazapine. It made me feel sleepy during the day for the first couple of weeks but that wore off. What I can say is that the mirtazapine will certainly help you sleep.

Regarding anxiety while on both the Ven and mirt, it was very effective initially, for maybe two years or so. But this tailed off, bearing in mind I'm a carer for my wife who has a number of health problems which would test any medication I might be on. However regarding depression, I only really get the odd episode of lowered mood, certainly not what you could call depression. And that's after nearly 10 years.

I have to get to bed now so have to leave it there. I'll look in here tomorrow, hang in there.

Thread Information