Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'IBS' pain - has anyone else got similar symptoms?

Re: 'IBS' pain - has anyone else got similar symptoms?

The thing is, ibs is also very much anxiety / stress related, and you’ve had a very tough year.

The first time my gastric problems flared up was about 5 months after my Dad died.

You don’t have to let your anxiety run riot like this MrL. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    The thing is, ibs is also very much anxiety / stress related, and you’ve had a very tough year.

The first time my gastric problems flared up was about 5 months after my Dad died.

You don’t have to let your anxiety run riot like this MrL. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for replying. Sorry to hear you're father's passed away as well.

I do understand it's anxiety / stress related, and I can live with the diarrhea, urgency and farting. But the constant pain for 3/4 days just doesn't seem to fit IBS from what I read online.

When I go through periods of constant pain I up my lansoprazole for a few weeks and it starts to settle, but it doesn't go away immediately, you have to give it time.

I know it's not easy, but maybe stay off the IBS site and stop googling. Give your body some time to calm down. Also switch to quite a bland diet. I'm veggie too and to be honest I don't believe any of my digestive problems relate to that, I do have a hiatus hernia but other than that my symptoms are always directly related to the levels of anxiety in my life (and some foods do set ot off, but the anxiety can compound it).

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    When I go through periods of constant pain I up my lansoprazole for a few weeks and it starts to settle, but it doesn't go away immediately, you have to give it time.

I know it's not easy, but maybe stay off the IBS site and stop googling. Give your body some time to calm down. Also switch to quite a bland diet. I'm veggie too and to be honest I don't believe any of my digestive problems relate to that, I do have a hiatus hernia but other than that my symptoms are always directly related to the levels of anxiety in my life (and some foods do set ot off, but the anxiety can compound it).
    Thanks for the reply Catkins.

What I find strange is that sometimes I can eat trigger foods and be fine and other times, not. I had an Indian takeaway on the night of my fathers funeral and felt fine. However I had one again 2 weeks ago, and felt terrible the day after.

My diet is normally quite bland, and low in carbs. Although I am partial to using sriracha, although again, it can have no effect on me, but sometimes it gives me bowel issues.

I find the whole IBS concept strange, and there doesn't seem to be a consistency to it. Although I do know that anxiety and worrying about it makes it a lot worse.

There's no pattern to my IBS either but I don't analyse my "symptoms". There's no point. Unless there are red flag symptoms of course.

Do your symptoms often turn out to be anything? We are similar. I know this as I recently found your thread on ‘pitting oedema’. As I have the same thing. Did that turn out to be anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa1983 View Post
    Do your symptoms often turn out to be anything? We are similar. I know this as I recently found your thread on ‘pitting oedema’. As I have the same thing. Did that turn out to be anything?

Hiya Louisa, no, I have not been diagnosed with anything sinister after all my worries.

Yes, I still have what I percieve to be mild pitting oedema around my lower legs, and often get dents after wearing socks, but I don't think that's something bad anymore. I went to the doctor about it years ago, and they didn't think it was a problem or as bad as I thought it was.
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 30-11-21 at 11:10.

I have found a good technique is whenever you have one of your ‘end of the world ‘ symptoms (that are ‘so real’ at the time), try putting off booking a GP apt for a week. See if it bothers you as much in a weeks time. I think you’ll be surprised.

Very upset and annoyed I'm posting about this. But I'm having another episode of what I described in this thread.

Pain comes on very suddenly all over my abdomen - like within hours. Like a bruising, stitch like pain. Then steadies off, leaving tender parts all over my abdomen - sometimes bottom right, sometimes upper. Hurts to press on these areas, and lying on my left side is a bit painful and uncomfortable. The pain I can only describe as being stitch like or like the areas are bruised. Sometimes the pain goes away, but it's usually quite consistent for 3/4 days - gradually gets better.

These episodes first happened around 5 years ago, and became really bad towards the end of 2019. Went away for a while after my sigmoidoscopy in 2020.

I still haven't found a trigger for this, and I don't know if it's related to my IBS or not. My stools don't change that much from my usual IBS.

Just very worried and concerned again. Sadly I got triggered badly on an IBS facebook site when a woman suggested the pain could be liver cirrhosis, which really frightened me as that's what my father died of.

I get the exact same thing. Stitch like pains. You are fine Mr L

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information