Thread: Would you feel a bat bite?

Would you feel a bat bite?

This past weekend I was out in the canyons hiking- I climbed up a split rock ( similar to Star Wars style, it was about 45 degree angle, very slippery like Slate or shale very very small cracks but a few- the rock had sharp angles ( think a stark cut ledge) that I could grab and pull myself Up- it was super bright out and being baked in direct sun, don’t think normal canyon think a palm oasis with these kinds of rocks lower on the ground when there is a break in the trees- it’s a very unique place…I turned around and sat on it using my hands to brace me and then took a few photos of my family down below. When I was done I noticed 2 small red marks on my palm… here is the thing…this Canyon is known for housing many bats, in the palm trees but canyon bats are known to roost in rocks.

Would I know if I was bit? I looked very carefully and paid attention to where I was putting my hands the entire time I mean I we putting all my weight on my fingers/ palms to brace myself but if a bat was under my hand I would have known right? I keep thinking I might have missed a crack and it could come up to bite and go back in..and I didn’t notice cause my hands were already being strained.

I know.. I’ve been here before and if it’s to an consolation I’m a lot better at managing my anxiety..I usually go less deep into it now and am able to talk myself out of it but it’s nagging me and I just want someone’s outside thought. If you were bit would you know?

Re: Would you feel a bat bite?

What do you think, would you feel a bat bite ? Do a quick google image search of 'bat teeth'.

There is probably also much advice on the various rabies concerns threads you have started in the past, going back a few years - maybe time to re-read those ?

Lol not necessarily … you know you have read stuff on “google” saying a bats bite could go unnoticed- especially if I’m putting pressure on my hands I don’t know if I would- and bats are like the size of my thumb.. so no I don’t know if I would

OK, I've also googled and it says also you 'might not necessarily know' if it was a weeny weeny bat and you were asleep. So, in the unlikely event you had a weeny bat leap out or get squished by your hand, and then not feel or see any marks or bleeding, and that it carried rabies, yes its possible. So, thats life isn't it, there is risk attached to any activity e.g. crossing the road, walking on the pavement, climbing a ladder, going swimming......drinking a cup of tea. Its all about thinking about probabilities and likelihoods, which are incredibly low indeed, almost negligible for having had a bat bite in these ciscumstances. Lets add to that the fact that you have a bat/rabies fear anyway and as you said yourself you were watching and checking constantly and I should think that the likelihood becomes near to zero. Risk never can become absolutely zero - and that is what people with HA struggle with. Anyway, theres literally nothing you can do about it now.....so why not react with a shrug and and get on with your day as I'm pretty sure that you'll be here just find and dandy for many years to come.

I know… but I guess I thought it could just stick it’s head out have bit me and gone back in…

I had 2 red marks on my hand which had me worried. Im really trying to shrug it off
    Today and wasn’t thinking about it much… but I almost just had a panic attack inside a store I was in and immediately my brain went to it- uh help stop my anxious mind…

Thread Information