Thread: Bad taste in mouth

Bad taste in mouth, acid reflux

About 4 weeks ago I started to get a bad taste at the back of my mouth. This started out of the blue. An internet search made me think acid reflux, as I also get stingy throats. After an online appointment I was prescribed Omeprazole 20mg, and advised to take Gaviscon as well. I have been on this for 3 weeks with very little improvement. I have read other threads about acid reflux, but nothing about the bad taste, which happens several times a day. It is a frequent reminder that something is wrong. Has anyone else had any experience of this please? I am very concerned about this.
    Last edited by maryart; 12-11-21 at 21:50.

Re: Bad taste in mouth

Hi again .. I also take Omeprazole 40MG and it woks quite well. I Hope you finid it helps you and perhaps an increase in the dosage would do the trick. For the bad taste, I do recomend yogurt and don't drink anything aftre you eat it for 1/2 hour.

All the best..

~Sal

Re: Bad taste in mouth, acid reflux

Do you take gaviscon after you’ve eaten? And do you get the bad taste after you’ve eaten too? There must be a reason they are prescribing acid reflux medicine for it? Sometimes it may be what you’ve eaten, so might be worth keeping a food and symptom diary.

I do get reflux and sometimes get a sore throat in the morning, but I don’t really get the bad taste. Although I remember going through something like that for a few weeks where it just tasted horrible for weeks. I think that was about the same time I had my first bout of acid reflux. At the time I think I thought it was oral thrush, which is also something I get sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for your replies.I will try the tip about yogurt. I do take the Gaviscon after eating, and yes, I do get the taste after eating, although not usually after my evening meal . I have noticed it also when changing position from sitting to standing, so am trying to sit more upright. Also doing everything suggested diet wise, avoiding fat and spicey foods etc. It's a bit of a minefield! I don't want to loose any weight as I've always been slim. The GP said it could take 6 to 8 weeks before seeing any improvement, so I guess I'll just have to stick with it.
    What was really annoying was only being able to get an online appointment. I really wanted to discuss this with someone. You get no reassurance on line.

Just an update after another online consultation, although much better this time. The gp thinks it is probably hiatus hernia, as the bad taste is typical of silent reflux.
    Now I'm thinking this will probably mean an op at some time in the future, which is somewhat terrifying!

I've had a hiatus hernia for years. It was diagnosed about 13 years ago. Surgery has never been given as an option, I take lansoprazole to help manage any symptoms and it's mostly fine. My husband also has one and has never been offered surgery either.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    I've had a hiatus hernia for years. It was diagnosed about 13 years ago. Surgery has never been given as an option, I take lansoprazole to help manage any symptoms and it's mostly fine. My husband also has one and has never been offered surgery either.
    Good to hear that it can be managed so well. What symptoms did you have, and how long did it take to get under control?

It's difficult to say because they found out that I had it at the same time as I was having other problems. I don't think it took too long to get under control from what I remember.

Thread Information