Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diazepam changed my life....for the better!

Diazepam changed my life....for the better!

Hi,

This one might be a little off-beat but I just want to put it out there.

Growing up I had HUGE fear of doctors, needles, and medical procedures. One time in my 30's I had to go for an MRI because I was having weird seizure/pain episodes. I was prescribed some benzo for the day because I was freaking out about it.

Anyway, I had the appointment at 10am so I took the pill at 8am. At around 9am I left for the clinic but on the way there I noticed the wind was stronger than usual. As if I was walking against the wind. I felt pretty good! I get to the clinic and I'm calm as can be.

The nurse pops me down and inserts the needle without a problem. I say to the nurse, "throw the roast in the oven!" as she helps me into the machine. I almost fall asleep in there!

After the procedure was done I pack up and leave. But I'd forgotten something so I reenter the room. On the computer displays I can see my brain, all these red and green spots. Usually I'd freak out but this time I thought, "Oh well. If it's a brain tumour, I'll just take this pill again and have it operated on".

How crazy is that???

I went to work after that. I spent the day not doing much. That day I learnt the word "no!" at work. It seriously improved my professional life!

That was the only time I ever took diazepam (I took a similar drug for something else later) but I still have zero fear of needles!!! I don't care about them at all.

In fact, three weeks ago I had another MRI, without any problems, without any drugs, and I was zero anxious. Loads of needles at the hospital as well as a lumbar puncture.

BTW: I didn't have a brain tumour.

Re: Diazepam changed my life....for the better!

Glad that diazepam had such a positive effect on you. However, be aware that when taken regularly BZDs can trigger the brain changes that manifest anxiety disorders and depression and inhibit the way antidepressants (and probably also the cognitive/behavioural/mindfulness therapies too) work.

I've been on 5mg 2/day for 18 yrs
    All good

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I'd be interested to read the source for that claim, PDU.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'd be interested to read the source for that claim, PDU.
    Sure:

Boldrini M, Butt TH, Santiago AN, et al. (2014)
    Benzodiazepines And The Potential Trophic Effect Of Antidepressants On Dentate Gyrus Cells In Mood Disorders
    Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. Dec;17(12):1923-33 (Abstract)

Nochi R, Kaneko J, Okada N, at al. (2013)
    Diazepam treatment blocks the elevation of hippocampal activity and the accelerated proliferation of hippocampal neural stem cells after focal cerebral ischemia in mice
    J Neurosci Res. 2013 Nov;91(11):1429-39 (Abstract)

Sun Y, Evans J, Russell B, et al [2013]
    A benzodiazepine impairs the neurogenic and behavioural effects of fluoxetine in a rodent model of chronic stress
    Neuropharmacology. Sep;72:20-8 (Abstract)

Song J, Zhong C, Bonaguidi MA, et al (2012)
    Neuronal circuitry mechanism regulating adult quiescent neural stem-cell fate decision.
    Nature. Sep 6;489(7414):150-4 (Article | Study full text)

Wu X, Castren E. (2009)
    Co-Treatment with Diazepam Prevents the Effects of Fluoxetine on the Proliferation and Survival of Hippocampal Dentate Granule Cells
    Biol Psychiatry. Jul 1;66(1):5-8 (Abstract)

Stefovska VG, Uckermann O, Czuczwar M, et al (2008)
    Sedative and anticonvulsant drugs suppress postnatal neurogenesis
    Ann Neurol. Oct;64(4):434-45 (Abstract)

Thanks for these, PDU. I'm certainly way out of my depth with interpreting the results of these studies but interesting to see that excessive anxiety may inhibit neurogenesis as opposed to long term benzo use.

interesting to see that excessive anxiety may inhibit neurogenesis as opposed to long term benzo use.
    Anxiety/stress inhibits neurogenesis which manifests as anxiety and/or depression which causes brain stress hormone levels to increase which inhibits neurogenesis even more...and then we're on the merry-go-round to nowhere. BZDs are a trap because they appear to alleviate the problem while actually gradually making it worse. Alcohol is just as insidious for the same reasons. Even moderate drinking can result in significant hippocampal atrophy (Topiwala A, 2017; - see also: Anderson ML, 2012; Taffe MA, 2010; Morris SA, 2010; Crews FT, 2003).

Don't worry about PUD.
    He just copy and pastes articles from the web

Thanks for these, PDU. I'm certainly way out of my depth with interpreting the results of these studies but interesting to see that excessive anxiety may inhibit neurogenesis as opposed to long term benzo use.

I think personal experience is a lot more significant but there will always be a market for these articles as psychiatry is such a controversial field. Glad you're ok, Phill.

HI Pulisa
    You're absolutely correct on that one.
    Hope you're doing well too.

I think personal experience is a lot more significant but there will always be a market for these articles as psychiatry is such a controversial field. Glad you're ok, Phill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information