Thread: Starting birth control for the first time and terrified

Starting birth control for the first time and terrified

Hi all

So I'm 28 and only now just starting birth control to help regulate my periods and get my hormones under control. I went to pick up my prescription tonight and decided to peruse the pamphlet that came with it to see the possible side effects. The side effects didn't worry me too much but I sent myself into a panic when I read about it possibly causing heart problems. I already have bad health anxiety regarding my heart and I've been managing it really well for months now with medication and therapy. This has put me into a complete panic though and is making me so terrified I don't even want to take the pills. My doctor is starting me on Norethindrone it's a progestin only pill because my blood pressure goes pretty high when I have a panic attack so I can't take the combo pills. He wants me to try it for 3 months but now I can't even get myself to take the first pill!

Could any ladies on birth control tell me how it went for you? Do you have any heart problems after taking birth control pills? I think hearing from others on how it went for them will help me get out of this panic cycle that I'm currently in.

Re: Starting birth control for the first time and terrified

Hi, I did exactly the same - forty years ago! I didn't even know I had health anxiety. I opened the packet, read the leaflet, told myself not to be stupid, took a pill and then spent the night convinced I could feel blood clots forming.

It might be good to talk to your doctor again. Is he aware how scared you are?

I think any side effects are extremely rare. I know that's not necessarily any help, but it's true. At some point you are going to have to try to ignore those thoughts so write yourself some positive mantras. Good luck and keep us posted! x

Re: Starting birth control for the first time and terrified

I was on birth control for many many years. All different brands and types. And at the time, I was a heavy smoker too. Never had any side effects from any of them, except for being able to pinpoint almost to the hour when my period would hit - which was awesome.

also remember reading an article somewhere that bc pills can help actually reduce your risk of certain cancers. Don’t know if that’s true because I didn’t research it in depth, but - to answer your original question, no side effects here!

Thread Information