Thread: Citalopram no longer working?

Citalopram no longer working?

Hi all,

I suffer from bad anxiety and some depression. Currently on Citalopram 40mg daily, which controls the anxiety. Some depression recently, to be honest.

Yesterday, the anxiety came back with a bang! Just like when I first had it- anxious feeling all the time, tingles, heaviness. Also not sleeping.

I reckon that the Citalpram has stopped being effective.

Any thoughts on that?

To move, what's the best alternative? Another SSRI? SNRI?

Any thoughts very welcome!

Re: Citalopram no longer working?

I was on citalopram for twelve years and I too thought it had stopped working, so I tapered slowly off it.

After a while I discovered that whilst I thought it wasn't working, it actually was - as I slowly collapsed into an ever darker place, suicidal thoughts started occurring and eventually I started calling the Samaritans.

After consultation with a GP I was placed on sertraline which did little for me other than seemingly raise my blood pressure, so now I am on 10mg of escitalopram. Whilst not making me happy and full of the joys of spring - and I still suffer from anxiety - at least I am no longer thinking of taking my life any more. Switching from one SSRI to another seems to be the preferred option; I still marvel at the world of chemistry where arranging the same atoms in a different order can have such an effect (escitalopram is the S-isomer of citalopram hence the name, if you fancy looking up the chemistry).

I don't wish to sound too much of a doom-monger but certainly I feel I am one of those people with incurable depression/anxiety issues. If you want more than (IMO) useless CBT to help (which is handed out like sweeties because it's so cheap) be prepared to either have a fight with the NHS or go private.

Thanks pample, I hope it's not so bad for me!

Doc has supplied sertraline and some zopiclone to help me sleep. Apparently it's normal for the ADs to stop working at some point.

I do feel a bit better, and managed a few mins sleep this pm.

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed for you - yes, SSRIs do just "crap out" on people I'm afraid so good luck with the Sertraline.

If you've not had Zopiclone before, don't be worried if you have a rather bitter taste in your mouth the next morning... it's probably *the* most common side effect.

After 12 years on Citalopram I think it has stopped working for me as well and I have relapsed with bad anxiety and depression.
    I did stop and restart twice in those 12 yrs and felt dreadful when restarting but it eventually worked I've had my issues over the years but I feel back at square one with this latest occurrence and getting 5 min phone calls from an impatient GP doesn't really help to change things.
    I am feeling better though and I hope you do too.🙂

Quote Originally Posted by rcs View Post
    After 12 years on Citalopram I think it has stopped working for me as well and I have relapsed with bad anxiety and depression.

...I feel back at square one with this latest occurrence and getting 5 min phone calls from an impatient GP doesn't really help to change things.
    What treatment has your GP offered to get the anxiety and depression back under control?

Quote Originally Posted by rcs View Post
    I did stop and restart twice in those 12 yrs and felt dreadful when restarting but it eventually worked I've had my issues over the years but I feel back at square one with this latest occurrence and getting 5 min phone calls from an impatient GP doesn't really help to change things.
    I am feeling better though and I hope you do too.
    Hi rcs,

I'm not so bad, thank you: I still have the odd "wobble" but I'm better than I have been in a while. Not great, but coping for about 95% of the time. I'm still on the same dose of escitalopram: I am waiting for some one-to-one therapy but I did find that keeping a small pocket diary that I could write my anxieties/worries in and just close the book on them actually helped quite a bit.

Here's hoping you get something positive from your GP - you do have to push at them, I'm afraid.

Thread Information