Thread: Symptomatic covid despite vaccine

Symptomatic covid despite vaccine

Hello everyone,

I'm really spiralling and need some reasurrence. Today morning I tested positive for covid and my anxiety has been growing ever since. I had both doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine in spring and I've been waiting for a booster jab, but covid was quicker. I'm honestly freaking out that I have symptoms despite being double vaxed and I'm really scared of complications like blood clots since I'm also taking birth control pills for my PCOS and hormones also increase the risk of clotting. I know complications are rare in vaccinated people, but isn't infection itself also rare? I'm young, not oveweight, and besides the bc pills I have no risk factors, but of course anxiety isn't rational and I keep thinking I'll end up with a blood clot or heart disease, or some other morbid post-covid thing

My symptoms so far are like those of a bad cold: really sore throat and some congestion for three days, today I started coughing, I feel cold, clammy, and achy, but no fever. I think I'm also losing at least some of my smell and taste, I'm afraid by tomorrow I won't be able to taste or smell anything! I know that objectively speaking these symptoms aren't very serious, but considering I was jabbed, I still feel like I should at most have the sniffles and I'm scared that it means I'm somehow more prone to covid and therefore to possible complications.

Has anyone here had symptomatic covid despite being vaccinated and got better without complications? I know my fears aren't rational, but covid is such a scary disease, there are all these horror stories around and I really don't know whom to trust.

Re: Symptomatic covid despite vaccine

Symptomatic infection after vaccination, especially after a few months, isn’t that unusual. In all likelihood, the symptoms you’re experiencing are fairly mild as apposed to what you may have experienced if you weren’t vaccinated.

As you say, serious complications from Covid are rare. They’re even more so rare in those that are fully vaccinated. Generally, the symptoms will become far milder after 3 or 4 days.

Just rest up and treat it as you would a cold or flu. You’ll be fine in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mei View Post
    Has anyone here had symptomatic covid despite being vaccinated and got better without complications? I know my fears aren't rational, but covid is such a scary disease, there are all these horror stories around and I really don't know whom to trust.
    Not me, but my asthmatic 40 year-old nephew had a fight due to Covid being the meat in an 'ILI' sandwich he contracted (he's a teacher). He was never hospitalised, but he was pretty rough for a while and is still recovering but pretty much there now. There's been a few cases at work (where we still work to 2m distancing and masks) but all have recovered with no obvious issues.

A colleague returned to work today after having it, she's triple jabbed. She said she's still feeling tired but is really on the mend now. She found the loss of taste frustrating, but other than fatigue and feeling a bit rough she wasn't too bad.

I’m double vaccinated and just had covid- it was a week of symptoms like the ones you describe plus tiredness. Very mild really, when you think what it could be like. My husband was the same.

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to share your experiences and reassure me!It really helps a lot to learn that other people have had it too!

Pamplemousse, I'm sorry about your nephew, that sounds very rough. I hope he makes a full recovery soon!

I'm feeling much the same as yesterday, my throat is getting better, the cough is getting a little worse. Basically it feels like a regular cold, except the psychological discomfort of knowing that it's covid. But your replies make me feel much more hopeful that I'll get better in a few days and just put this covid mess behind me at least for a while!

Thanks again for all your replies!

I have several friends who have been through this. They are all just fine. x

Thread Information