Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline dosage

Sertraline dosage

Hi all,

I am switching from Citalopram (which has stopped working) to Sertraline, for anxiety.

The doc has prescribed a month's worth of 25mg daily. My understanding is that this should ramp up to 50mg at some point, which is the normal dose.

Is it normal to stay on 25mg, or does everyone move up to the higher dose? If so, after how long?

I'm planning to get an appointment with the doc tomorrow to follow up (the consultation was really short with the duty doc, just prescribed the med, didn't mention ramping up at all).

Thanks!

Alex.

Re: Sertraline dosage

Actually scrap that, they are 50mg tablets. Duh!

I have just tapered off citalopram and started sertraline too. Currently on 100mg, and I am finding my anxiety worse than ever. Does anyone know the optimal dose for anxiety?

YAY !!! Good to hear. Would you care to share how you did that taper? I'm trying but not having much luck, sad to admit.

100MG is what I'm on now and its a balance between side effects and managing symtoms and I'm not doing all that well at all.

Actually, no need to reply as I now see your new thread. Wishing you both the best of luck going forward. We just take it day-by-day, I think.
    Last edited by Scissel73; 24-11-21 at 18:54.

I was on 20mg citalopram. Doctor introduced 25mg of sertraline as well for two weeks. Then I went to 10mg citalopram for a further two weeks. Then up to 50mg sertraline for two weeks. Then off the citalopram

I don't have the luxury of tapering, as my Citalopram just stopped working!

Coming up to day 11 on 50mg of Sertraline. Getting sleep back, which is great. Anxiety is high though.

I've done a bit of research, and it seems that the side-effects will (including higher anxiety) will last a bit longer, and it may take up to 6 weeks for the full therapeutic effect.

This gives me comfort! Just have to tough it out...

Quote Originally Posted by apm View Post
    I've done a bit of research, and it seems that the side-effects will (including higher anxiety) will last a bit longer, and it may take up to 6 weeks for the full therapeutic effect.
    Sertraline may kick-in sooner than this, or take longer. There is no way of predicting this so don't be alarmed if it does take longer. You may also need to take more than 50mg/day as that is the usual minimum effective dose. Many take 100-150mg for optimum results.

Many thanks P-D-U. You are extremely knowledgeable- are you a clinician or just very well researched?

I was on max dose of Citralopram before it stopped working, but had been not doing well on that for a while, sadly.

I will truck on through getting stabilised on the 50mg, and see if I need to increase. FWIW, when I first started on Citalopram, I was on the 20mg dose for several years- it was some depression that led to the increase...

Quote Originally Posted by apm View Post
    are you a clinician or just very well researched?
    Most of what I know I've gained from folk like you in support groups such as NMP.

I was on max dose of Citralopram before it stopped working, but had been not doing well on that for a while, sadly.
    Unfortunately, antidepressant poop-out (tachyphylaxis) happens, more so with SSRIs than SSRIs, TCAs and MAOIs.

I will truck on through getting stabilised on the 50mg, and see if I need to increase. FWIW, when I first started on Citalopram, I was on the 20mg dose for several years- it was some depression that led to the increase...
    SSRIs tend to be better anti anxiety than anti depression meds. I don't know why that is, but depression often needs a higher dose to bring under control and it can take longer for the med to kick-in.

So it's about a year later.

Suddenely, the anxiety is back, sleep also poor.

I suspected that the dosage was too low, so spoke to GP who increased to 150mg.

I felt much better within a week or so. Another week later, and the anxiety is back again, sleep also bad.

Confused. Four options occur to me:

1) The new dose is still stabilising, and I just need to wait
    2) The new dose is still too low, and I need to go up to 200mg
    3) The recurrence of the anxiety was just a blip, and the dose is now too high.
    4) The Sertraline has stopped working. I consider this unlikely, as I got 8 years out of Citalopram.

For info, I was on the highest dose of Citalopram before that stopped working. The highest dose of Sertraline is 200mg.

Any and all thoughts welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information