Thread: tooth abscess? help

tooth abscess? help

i think i have a tooth abscess for the last few days.
    so the upper gum around this one tooth is swollen and painful, with a small white bump in the middle (not a canker sore) and i'm fearing the worst that it could turn into something serious(eg sepsis) without help. in the meantime im using warm salt water but idk if it's helping.
    I tried to call the dentist yesterday but no response. i'm actually panicking rn

Re: tooth abscess? help

I would keep trying until you find a dentist that can help. Tooth abscesses are not something I mess with, they’re super painful. A run of antibiotics can sort you out quickly. Over here our GP’s will prescribe antibiotics if you can’t get into a dentist quickly. Do yours do that over in your area?

hi thanks for replying yes i'm definitely calling my gp tomorrow if the dentist doesnt call back, since it's late. I'm just scared of waiting in the meantime, bc of what could potentially happen with this abscess 😕

I had a tooth abscess only weeks ago.
    I avoided brushing the area and just dabbed toothpaste on the area. I did the warm salt wash several times a day. Avoided any meals that needed chewing. Paracetamol for the pain. Of course this happened at the weekend and by. Monday there was massive improvement so managed to avoid going to the dentist.

I had a tooth abscess a few years ago, and waited two days to get an appointment

The first time I had one it was a horrible feeling taste

If it's any consolation, I know someone who has had recurrent, awful gum and facial bone infections, necessitating multiple surgeries, for over a decade now -- and they've never had sepsis! Despite having other health issues and being old!
    [If you want to challenge your anxiety a bit: In general, the mouth area is really packed with immune system agents ready to clean up all sorts of bad things, so it's one of the *best* places to get a minor infection! ]

I haven't had an outright white bump but twice before, but I've had red bumps for which I've used a warm salt water swish no more than twice a day (after brushing everything else after a meal is best), as someone else wisely said above.

Wishing you the absolute best, teeth are horrid little things at times.

Hi eveyone, I finally managed to find a dentist who treated the abscess and they also prescribed me antibiotics, luckily the infection was only in the gum and my teeth are safe, feeling relieved 😊 thank you all for the replies

Thank goodness for that. x

Glad you got it sorted, just been through the same, antibiotics cured it

Thread Information