Thread: Fear of endoscopy story

Fear of endoscopy story

Due to some stomach issues I was told that I need to get an endoscopy. I was afraid, so I avoided booking it for a few weeks, and when I finally called I was offered a spot for Thursday. I was so scared that I initially said "no", and I asked for another spot (which was on the 24th Dec...). But after sleeping on it, I decided to call the next day, and luckily they still had a place for me.

I had the procedure 10 hours ago, and I can tell you that it's really not as bad as I imagined! If I knew I would save myself the weeks of fear and agony, and I'd book it sooner.

The staff was very kind and understanding, and the whole procedure lasted maybe 2-3 minutes (including the biopsy), it wasn't as unpleasant as I imagined, and I only gagged once (when the tube was removed). I focused on counting and breathing and it went fine. There was nothing to worry about! So if I could do it, you can too!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Re: Fear of endoscopy story

Well done you!

I've had a couple but was sedated for both. I did come round a bit in the first one and I remember trying to move the tube slightly as I thought it would be more comfortable if I adjusted it myself 🤷*♀️. The staff were lovely though. Definitely nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Well done you!

I've had a couple but was sedated for both. I did come round a bit in the first one and I remember trying to move the tube slightly as I thought it would be more comfortable if I adjusted it myself *. The staff were lovely though. Definitely nothing to worry about.
    Thank you Catkins! I can imagine how it looked when you wanted to take over from the professionals!
    My endoscopy was done just with the throat spray. It felt odd, but my breathing was just fine, and I didn't panic!

Honestly, you should be very proud of yourself!

Thank you!

You did incredibly well and thank you for this very positive and reassuring thread. I hope many people can take comfort from your experience.

I've only had one endoscopy and that was with sedation. I wasn't as brave as you and hated the idea of being fully conscious as I tend to gag really easily!

Thank you pulisa!

This was my experience too, well done!
    Although I found the throat spray really disconcerting because I felt like I couldn’t swallow, but they calmed me down very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind and knowledgeable staff can really make the difference! The doctor and the nurses talked to me all the time explaining what was happening, and how it would make me feel. It helped a lot!

Glad all went well for you x

Thread Information