Thread: That time of year again

That time of year again

It's the first icy morning of the year and I'm so terrified I could vomit. Worse, I'm going out after work tonight, and while I know that temperatures are going to be rising I'm still privately convinced that every road in my city is covered in lethal black ice and that I'm going to fall and break something, possibly fatally.

Mr Iris has been lovely and swept the external stairs last night, and I have a good pair of walking boots that will probably keep me safe on the hundred yards I have to walk to the bus stop; the bus stops directly outside my workplace where all the surfaces will have been gritted. I am being utterly ridiculous.

Worse (kind of) I've had a violent upset stomach and headaches since I became aware snow was a possibility. I'm blaming it on things I ate or possibly a bug, but... yeah, I know what it likely is. I really don't want to be this gassy at the cinema with my friend tonight.

So, basically... argh. Fed up.

Re: That time of year again

You're frightened so this is certainly not being "ridiculous". It's going to get far less cold but you still have to deal with what's happening now so take it slowly and steadily and give yourself plenty of time to get to the bus stop. Every step is a one less step to negotiate.

What film are you planning to see?

Going to see Encanto, the new Disney musical. Officially, as a good anti-capitalist I hate Disney and all they stand for. Unofficially? All those pretty colours! Mr. Iris won't touch it, which is why I asked a friend instead of asking him. Going to treat myself to dinner at a Vietnamese cafe since it's on the way to the cinema and the food is genuinely sublime.

Made it into work unscathed - the headache's lingering but the stomach upset is thankfully fading. Little bit nervy about walking through town tonight but will see how it goes.

How are you doing?

The confidence lies in wearing the right footwear Iris.
    And you've done that, so you're good to go.
    I also wear a knitted beanie if temperatures fall which helps you to feel a little more secure as well as warm x

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Going to see Encanto, the new Disney musical. Officially, as a good anti-capitalist I hate Disney and all they stand for. Unofficially? All those pretty colours! Mr. Iris won't touch it, which is why I asked a friend instead of asking him. Going to treat myself to dinner at a Vietnamese cafe since it's on the way to the cinema and the food is genuinely sublime.

Made it into work unscathed - the headache's lingering but the stomach upset is thankfully fading. Little bit nervy about walking through town tonight but will see how it goes.

How are you doing?
    You obviously want to see Encanto and you have a lovely meal to look forward to which will break up the journey to the cinema. I reckon it sounds like a good evening for you, gas or no gas! When you come out of the cinema it will be milder too..No overnight frosts forecast at all.

I'm ok thanks. Still standing!

I hope you have a really good evening and enjoy the pretty colours!

Thanks, Pulisa. Starting to feel better now; the paths look mainly clear for tonight.

How did it go? Were you encantada with Encanto?

Very much so, yes. I sat there happily right up until the last third or so, when I sat there crying and my friend tried to pretend he didn't notice.

Lost my bus pass, which is an annoyance, but worse things happen at sea.

Sorry you had a scary time of it in the cold snap dear Blue. Thankfully it seems to have passed now…. Hope work and other stuff is going well though . xxxx

Glad you enjoyed it BI, I love going to the cinema. I'm also very much a cryer at films, I should take dark glasses to put on after some films (except I'd probably fall over on the way out).

We've got these things you put on your shoes when it's slippy, they're a kind of rubber strap with spikes on, a bit like an urban crampon. Alternatively if you put a sock over your shoe it also helps - it does work although you do look a bit like you've forgotten to put your shoes on.

Thread Information