Thread: Lemborexant instead of Mirtazapine

Lemborexant instead of Mirtazapine

I am on 25 mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine and 50 trazadone all for sleep. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are for changing Mirtazapine to Lemborexant. Will it be potent enough and does quitting Mirtazapine have nasty side effects? Was going to change so that my hunger was less intense.

Also what is these articles that sleeping pills shortend our life? Should I just stay on Mirtazapine? I require daily sleep medication (the meds I mentioned)
    Last edited by SEANML; 30-11-21 at 12:30.

Re: Lemborexant instead of Mirtazapine

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    Just wondering what everyones thoughts are for changing Mirtazapine to Lemborexant. Will it be potent enough
    No idea. What does your doctor say?

and does quitting Mirtazapine have nasty side effects?
    Most can quit mirtazapine with only minor withdrawal effects, but taper off by 15mg/week, don't quit it 'cold-turkey'.

Also what is these articles that sleeping pills shortend our life?
    Do you have links to these articles?

Should I just stay on Mirtazapine? I require daily sleep medication (the meds I mentioned)
    You could try halving the dose of both mirtazapine and trazodone as they become less sedating as doses increase. However, this is unlikely to reduce the carbohydrate craving side-effect of mirtazapine much.

I will be talking to the Doctor in a week. I will ask him his thoughts as well.

**The articles are not studies they are just google searches.So not sure if they are even accurate. They just mention Hypnotics as being bad for you in the long run. But I am not sure how accurate the articles are.

Thanks for all the great input. I found my food cravings were higher on lower mirtazapine. A part of me is nervous to take away Mirtaz because it may be helping with me mentally (if that is possible) One of the meds are keeping my mood level instead of up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    **The articles are not studies they are just google searches.So not sure if they are even accurate. They just mention Hypnotics as being bad for you in the long run. But I am not sure how accurate the articles are.
    What do they actually mean by 'hypnotic'? It is a term which covers are wide range of medications, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, the 'Z' class sleeping pills such as zolpidem, some antidepressants, some antihistamines, some antipsychotics, kava, melatonin, orexin receptor antagonists such as lemborexant, valerian, 5-htp, etc.

Plus, how does the risk from the meds they are writing about compare to the considerable risk posed by insomnia?

A part of me is nervous to take away Mirtaz because it may be helping with me mentally (if that is possible) One of the meds are keeping my mood level instead of up and down.
    That is more likely due to the highish dose of the antipsychotic olanzapine, though the mirtazapine sedation will also be helping.

Thread Information