Thread: Fast heart rate after switching AD

Fast heart rate after switching AD

Hello everyone. I am kind of worried and anxious at the moment about my heart rate.

I was on 5mg of paroxetin the last 5 years and before 10mg for like 10 years.

After severe burnout with mild depressiin and anxiety I visited a psychiatrist. He said the paroxetine would not work optimal anymore and advised to change to deanxit 10mg.

After 5 days I woke up with a fast heart rate.
    About 100- 105 at rest and it goes up to 125 when standing up.

After 3 days of that I visited my psychiatrist again and we concluded it might have been the deanxit causing this.

She changed to sertraline which I started yesterday and today with 12.5mg. Tomorrow I will up my dose again.

However this heartbeat still remains high and it makes me very scared and worried and uncomfortable.

Would it be possible that it is still from the deanxit after 2 days not taking it anymore or could it be paroxetine withdrawal which I stopped now for 8 days. I have no further withdrawal as far as I know.

This is getting me very agitated and frustrated as I donīt get to sleep wel and do nothing besides sitting on my sofa.

I know 100 or 105 is not that problematic but it worries me like crazy.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A515F met Tapatalk

Re: Fast heart rate after switching AD

Quote Originally Posted by tom1984 View Post
    I was on 5mg of paroxetin the last 5 years and before 10mg for like 10 years.

After severe burnout with mild depressiin and anxiety I visited a psychiatrist. He said the paroxetine would not work optimal anymore
    5mg is a sub therapeutic dose, as is 10mg for most, so it's hardly surprising paroxetine did nothing when you came under pressure. Taking antidepressants at sub therapeutic doses increases the risk of them failing to work for the reasons I gave in this post yesterday.

However this heartbeat still remains high and it makes me very scared and worried and uncomfortable.

Would it be possible that it is still from the deanxit after 2 days not taking it anymore or could it be paroxetine withdrawal which I stopped now for 8 days. I have no further withdrawal as far as I know.
    It could be either, both, or partly also the sertraline. Deanxit has a half-life of about 36 hours so much of it will still be in your system and paroxetine withdrawal can continue for more than 8 days, although the sertraline may now be countering this a little.

This is getting me very agitated and frustrated as I donīt get to sleep wel and do nothing besides sitting on my sofa.

I know 100 or 105 is not that problematic but it worries me like crazy.
    The normal resting heart rate for adults is 60-100 bpm, so you're only just above this. I suggest you get off the sofa and get active which will not only help with reducing the heart rate, but can also have a positive effect on anxiety. If the high heart rate persists ask your doctor or psychiatrist to prescribe a small dose of the beta-blocker propranolol. Not only should that reduce the heart rate it is also sometimes prescribed to treat mild anxiety as it blocks the adrenaline fuelled flight-or-fight response.

Thanks for answeeing panic!
    It started when I did not start sertraline yet so it is eather stopping paroxetine or the deanxit.

It is very uncomfortable. My HR is 120 as we speak sitting at the table for eating.

I take belsar 10 for my blood pressure but I have some bisoprolol left from starting blood pressure meds.

We first tried betablockers but it interfered with my sports.

I don't know if I can take 1/4 of 2.5mg bisoprolol togheter with my belsar.
    I will call my GP.

I called my GP and she said it was ok to use a small dose of bisoprolol. I took half a pill of 2.5mg, so 1.25. My heart rate in rest is now low 80 and walking standing is 100. That is ok for me.

Hopefully the next days the palpitations will go away so I donīt need bisoprolol anymore.

My chest and back are hurting from tension.
    Hopefully a relaxed sleep tonight.

I called my GP and she said it was ok to use a small dose of bisoprolol. I took half a pill of 2.5mg, so 1.25. My heart rate in rest is now low 80 and walking standing is 100. That is ok for me.
    Cool. Beta-blockers like bisoprolol and propranolol are usually very effective at reducing elevated heart rates

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Cool. Beta-blockers like bisoprolol and propranolol are usually very effective at reducing elevated heart rates
    How long will it last before the last dose of 10mg on tuesday will be cleared from my body?

It has been like 100 hours since my last dose.
    That means nearly 3 halflifes of 10mg so nearly down to 1,25mg.

I am still having this racing heart and I am sick of it, litteraly. I take a beta blocker in the afternoon so I can sleep but by morning my heartrate goes up again already.

It is a very small dose I know but I canīt take more because of my bloodpressure medication.

Will this last untill all of it is out of my body?

How long will it last before the last dose of 10mg on tuesday will be cleared from my body?

It has been like 100 hours since my last dose.
    That means nearly 3 halflifes of 10mg so nearly down to 1,25mg.
    Of Deanxit (flupentixol+melitracen)? Its elimination half-life is about 35 hours and after 5 half-lives meds are considered to have cleared the body however side-effects usually diminish after 3-4 half-lives.

Will this last untill all of it is out of my body?
    Bisoprolol has a half-life of about 10-12 hours so needs to be taken daily to maintain effectiveness.

Thread Information