Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trigeminal Neuralgia

Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hopefully the medication will work soon - what did they prescribe?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Carbamazepine I think. He won’t take it until he is certain of his diagnosis as he’s worried about side effects.
    I don't know how to help him and he seems so angry.

That is what my sister takes. If he starts it now though the pain would ease up in a few days.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yes hopefully it will work once he starts to take it but it’s persuading him to do it. I think as well as worry about side effects, he thinks it’s just masking an underlying problem. He says he thinks he can cope with TN diagnosis as long as it’s nothing sinister that’s causing it. I think the pain is making him irrational as that should be no reason to not take something that will help.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer. I’ve been quite upset and it helps to talk.

can I ask if your sister manages a reasonable quality of life?

My sister usually knows when she is getting an attack coming on so starts on the medication. She has learnt to accept it will happen sometimes but the episodes can be years apart.

I thought I’d already updated this but it seems I didn’t.

Anyhow, just thought I’d say thanks to those who replied and let you know the outcome. Apparently the horrendous pain was caused by a bad infection under his tooth and not TN! Apparently he has had several x rays previously where this was missed so his GP ruled out tooth problems and jumped straight to the TN conclusion.

Obviously there needs to be an explanation from the dentist about why this was missed - especially as it’s been very costly and the root canal treatment will add significantly to this.
    Also, without wanting to criticise the GP, I do think it doesn’t help that they are under so much ( pressure and face-to-face consultations are rare at present.

Still, all’s well that ends well . Thanks again for being so kind 😀👍

Oh sort of good news then.

The young lad I work with has still got problems and they have found a cyst on his brain so he is waiting for brain surgery!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information