Thread: Feeling a little lost & deflated. ⚠️⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️⚠️

Feeling a little lost & deflated. ⚠️⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️⚠️

I've been doing well lately with the worry and the panic attacks. There is always a blip though isn't there?
    Innocently scrolling on Facebook and you're met with the story of someone being misdiagnosed and having months or weeks left to live, then hundreds of comments from people who are also going through the same.
    As someone who finds it hard to trust their doctor, it's hit hard. Not sure why I'm posting this. I guess It all just feels hopeless..

Re: Feeling a little lost & deflated. ⚠️⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️⚠️

Hi - I'm going to reply to this even though I can't offer much help because I'm going through similar feelings and have been for a long time.

I've found that doctors often downplay symptoms and unless something is downright obviously a serious disease they assume it's "just a virus" and treat it as such by telling you to drink plenty of fluids and take aspirin. I would much rather they assume the worst and rule out the bad things like cancer and such and work backwards from there. I get it, that would back up our MRI and CT scan machines incredibly and really wouldn't be cost effective and would cause a lot more problems than it's worth, especially since a lot of what we go to the doctor for is relatively minor and goes away in a few days. But there are many cases in which they should have thought worse case scenario first because that's what it really was.

***TRIGGER AHEAD***

A friend of a friend went to the doctor with back pain, was told one thing after another, strained back, pulled muscle, arthritis, lyme disease. Finally when nothing they recommended helped she was giving an MRI or CT scan, turns out she had metastatic breast cancer. It's these kind of things that make me really distrust doctors.

And this happened to me - had a call back after calcifications showed up in a mammogram. When I went for the f/u the radiologist asked me if I was told these calcifications were on my mammo the previous year I told her no and I got the all clear letter that my mammo was fine. She told me that when she compared the two years she saw that they were there the previous year but the radiologist who read them must have missed them. After a biopsy I was found to have breast cancer but the good news is that, despite the year long wait, it was very small and easily treated.

I could easily relate another half dozen stores like this that happened to people I personally know. It seems to be the norm. I can truly understand why you don't trust doctors. It seems to me that for any problem one has they have to visit the doctor 5 or 6 or more times before something is done about it. I really wish I could help you and give you the reassuring words that you want to hear but I'm in the same boat as you right now when it comes to this topic.

Re: Feeling a little lost & deflated. ⚠️⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️⚠️

Thank you for your reply and I'm so sorry they failed you. I hope you're doing well now x

Thread Information