Thread: Can't stop ruminating on Arthur Hughes tragedy

Can't stop ruminating on Arthur Hughes tragedy

I know I've already covered this extensively in my other thread on here about ASD, but I can't stop ruminating on that poor little Arthur Hughes who died after extensive physical abuse from his barsteward parents, who were both a pair of animals.

What also hit home with me was the fact that that sadist barsteward male staff member at the residential school I attended back in 1986-87 lived in the same area where said atrocity took place (Shirley, near Solihull, West Midlands), though he and his respective family had nothing to do with this particular incident and is purely coincidental that it happened on the same manor as where that animal who worked at my residential school lived.

In this particular instance I don't wish to state the name of the residential school nor the name of that particular horrible staff member as I don't want to be seen to be 'sabre-rattling' in any way right now.

I know Solihull isn't generally a nasty violent area and it still remains by far one of the safest and lowest crime areas within the West Midlands conurbation, according to one of its local councillors in the wake of the tragedy, plus they reiterated that incidents of such nature still remain extremely rare within said borough.

But, although definitely not linked in any way, I can't help myself over the chain of association having been privy to dubious antics from that staff member who happened to live in fairly close proximity to the address of the Arthur Hughes tragedy, although AFAIK, he never went anywhere near as far as those two animals who parented poor little Arthur Hughes, that is committing murder and manslaughter!

ETA, I'm also now having flashbacks to a similar tragedy that happened near Burton on Trent in the early spring of 2016, some 18 months before I first started attending my day centre there, where a child (a girl I think) was subjected to chronic physical abuse and neglect by drug-addled parents and sadly died as a result, but that particular tragedy never seemed to receive the extensive news coverage that the Arthur Hughes tragedy is, and seemed to be more or less water under the bridge about one week later, but still freaked me out nevertheless.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 07-12-21 at 18:36.

Re: Can't stop ruminating on Arthur Hughes tragedy

I know many will probably disagree with me and come out with the usual 'never did me any harm' hyperbole, but I am now firmly of the opinion that the sooner domestic corporal punishment of children is fully outlawed in England and NI the better, as it most certainly did poor little Arthur and many other poor kids in similar situations serious harm, in this particular case, fatal.

And it beggars belief that nothing has yet been brought up in the media or in Parliament discussing the possibilities of banning such barbaric treatment of children in the wake of this dreadful tragedy.

Stuff the 'Be Reasonable' and other likewise brigades, enough is enough!

News of another horrific case of child battering that has resulted in a fatality in Leeds (I think) has been reported this morning, concerning another sadist barsteward of a mother that was in denial of her little girls' suffering when it was suggested she be taken to hospital, and CCTV footage of her dishing out the beatings of her little daughter that she brought into work on several occasions revealed the evidence.

Seems (probably for the best) that the child abuse floodgates are now really starting to open, especially in the wake of the Arthur Hughes tragedy that recently dominated the news.

Also proves that it's another 'disease' that's endemic within our society that has been greatly overlooked in the mainstream media since about the mid-90s or so, in the often-misguided belief that 'kids today' have no respect and therefore deserve a bloody good hiding, which is totally wrong IMO!

P.S, Sorry for triggering anyone with such graphic information.

Maybe it's time to step away from the news sites, Lenco?

Ruminating on this stuff has to be bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Maybe it's time to step away from the news sites, Lenco?

Ruminating on this stuff has to be bad for you.
    My dad was watching it on the TV (Sky News I think) when I was coming in from walking the dog this morning), so in this case I wasn't seeking out news sites, I just happened to stumble on it purely by accident.

You still have the choice to watch and listen

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You still have the choice to watch and listen

FMP
    Hence I came upstairs away from it, and shut myself into my bedroom.

Still didn't stop me from feeling upset and shocked though.

It's now being speculated that quite a few social workers have been putting their own personal politics before their legal duties of care and not taking their duties of care seriously enough, a far cry from back in the 80s and early 90s when there seemed to be a lot of overzealous SWs with 'agendas', who often seemed to revel in 'social profiling' (in the pre-social media context), with tales of them prowling council estates on the deliberate lookout for dysfunctional families, of which, contrary to popular belief, also exist in well-to-do private estates.

Us persons with learning disabilities were also often fair game for a lot of their overzealous practices, as we were often mistakenly believed to be a product of poor parenting.

So in conclusion, SWs are stuck in a catch 22 situation between a rock and a hard place; damned if do, damned if don't. One minute SWs (and police officers) are seemingly caught napping and in hot water for doing too little too late, then the next they're in hot water for being too overzealous, doing too much too soon willy-nilly and then end up being 'public enemy number one' all over again, then the never-ending cycle continues!
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 15-12-21 at 13:38.

Thread Information