Thread: Perimenopause or somethig else?

Perimenopause or somethig else?

Hi Ladies

Im just wanting a little advice as im going round in circles and winding myself up abit!

Im 42 yrs old, nearly 43 and have been noticing changes recently. Hot flushes have been with me for a good year or so but recently noticed a red patch just inside my labia majora, got that checked out and was told it was just irritation. Now i am so sore externally, treated for thrust no improvement, swabs back negative and told possibly vaginal atrophy so on vagifem and ovestin.

My periods have always been very regular up until August this year, Sept and Oct both came 9/10 days late and i have not seen another period since and im now on day 59.

My concern is pelvic pain, almost like a period pain but its been ongoing for around 2 weeks now and although i feel it generally all over my pelvis i am getting a more concentrated ache in my left side....I keep thinking my period will start but it just hasnt. Ofcourse i googled and have seen ovarian cancer causes pelvic pain and can, in rare cases, cause missed periods. I also read that IBS can cause symptoms like im having and i do think i have IBS but with the missed period im not sure if its this.

I spoke to my GP two weeks ago, she gave me the ovestin to try externally because im so sore, she booked me in for bloods and i have a follow up tomorrow. I did get a call late last week from the Receptionist to say im low in Vit D so start taking a supplement but nothing else was noted.
    I'm not sure if i had a CA125 marker, will find out tomorrow.

I was just wondering if anyone my age has been through this, my GP said im very young to be going into peri menopause/menopause and with the missed period and the pain im now thinking all sorts :(

Re: Perimenopause or somethig else?

I don't think you're very young to be going through peri-menopause! I'm 38 and (before my hysterectomy a few month ago) my periods had started getting irregular, I get hot flashes and sweats, mood swings, etc... My gyn told me that it's right on target for my hormones going bonkers and many of my friends say the same. Perimenopause can last 10 years, so 42 doesn't feel early to me. If you can, find out when your mom went through menopause. My doctor said that's the best indicator of when you will. My mom's was fairly early, so I suspect that's why my symptoms started early too. There was just a thread in the mom group I'm in all about missed periods in women in our age range.

Maybe ask for an ultrasound to see if it's an ovarian cyst or something.

I have to agree with Erin. I’m 42 and started experiencing random odd things about a year or two ago. It’s unfortunate so many doctors are unwilling to believe that peri can start this early - so much reputable research out there shows that it absolutely can, and often does.

My periods are still fairly regular, but lighter and shorter in duration than they used to be. I tend to get other weird symptoms around my period that I didn’t used to experience, like sore breasts a week before and almost a fuzzy feeling in my head a day or two before. Hard to describe that one lol. I don’t get much in the way of menstrual cramps anymore (I’m good with that one!!!). I get the random ovulation pain a couple weeks before, also didn’t used to happen. There’s all sorts of weird things us women experience as our Hormones start changing. Rather annoying if you ask me lol.

Thank you for replying ladies!

I had to be quite firm with my GP on the phone and i hate having to do that, i usually just shy away and not push the issue but i know in myself that this is not right.

I have researched quite alot actually and i had to argue that i don't feel 42 is really that young to be going through the peri stage, Unfortunately i lost both my mum and nan in the last 10 years so i can't go back and ask specific questions but i know both of them were through the menopause in there early 50s so presume they were peri in there 40s.

I also have sore boobs, tiredness, can be forgetful too and these all look to be listed as symptoms. Im now at day 60 with no period...with the cramps and general feeling of achyness im trying not to let my mind run wild. It all feels pretty depressing but im sure once through i will be singing from the rooftop haha.

Off to the Drs today for a run down on bloods and to see what she has to say, not sure if she will send me for a pelvic scan due to the pain i have been having.

With peri-menopause it's difficult for it to show up in a blood test because your hormone levels are up and down so much. I had a blood test in my mid 40's for it and it didn't show any change in my hormone levels. Fortunately the doctor I saw had a special interest in womans health and she said that your hormones fluctuate so much that all they reflect is how they are on that particular day, so on that day they might be totally normal.

It's really important to talk to a doctor that knows their stuff with regards to the menopause, so many don't.

Thread Information