Thread: Bowel Cancer Worries (Family History)

Post Bowel Cancer Worries (Family History)

This is my first post in over a decade. This forum and its community were instrumental in helping me overcome my health anxiety years ago, but despite my efforts, I find myself going deeper into the rabbit hole of worry. If anyone reads and replies, my deepest thanks.

Ultimately, I'm worried I have bowel cancer. My mother was diagnosed with it at the age of 59 which I know is not super young, but I am aware of a possible genetic element (I've not been tested). She sadly passed away within 14 months of being diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer. I saw what she went through and I'm terrified of the same thing happening to me.

I'm 32, have been overweight/obese for all my adult life, and never normally have any gastro symptoms like IBS. I have been suffering from stress, but then who hasn't recently. However, a week ago, I woke up with severe abdominal cramping and felt the immediate need to have a bowel movement. It was loose, but not watery. Ever since then, I've had cramping on and off, excessive burping, the feeling like I can't fully empty my bowels, and a constant tightness around my upper abdomen (it feels like there's a belt around me). I find it difficult to lie on my front in bed, have a reduced appetite, frequent stomach gurgling and feeling of slight burning (as if you're really hungry...it's the best way I can describe it), and I've had semi-loose bowel movements throughout. I've had no nausea, no blood in my stools, no sharp pains. But the stomach tightness never seems to go away and doesn't change with food or bowel movements.

I've once had an episode of extreme anxiety where I felt my stomach go hard and tight, presumably through me tensing my stomach muscles subconsciously, but this feels different. But given my family history and my experience of my mother, I'm obviously worrying the same thing is happening. She, too, had subtle symptoms at first and the diagnosis went from IBS, IBD, diverticulitis, to the true diagnosis after a colonoscopy.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the symptoms? Am I worrying unnecessarily? Any replies would be truly, sincerely appreciated.

Re: Bowel Cancer Worries (Family History)

Hi

I can understand your concern and obviously losing your mum to the disease has heightened your anxiety. Many of the symptoms you have described sound like stress and I’m sure the more you are thinking about your bowels, the more you are noticing things which you would have normally paid no attention to.

It’s very sad you lost your mum to bowel cancer but that doesn’t mean it will happen to you, in fact only a small percentage of cancers occur due to a family history.

By all means see your GP if you are concerned. Have you been advised to undergo any early screening because of your mum? I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 35, no previous family history of any type of cancer and doctors are not concerned about my other family members having additional screening.

I honestly think the stress and anxiety is getting the better of you here, it must have been terrible to see your mum have to deal with such a horrid illness. Have you tried any counselling?

Quote Originally Posted by Deb350 View Post
    I honestly think the stress and anxiety is getting the better of you here
    Agreed. The symptoms sound totally anxiety related.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Deb350 and Fishmanpa. Deb350 - I hope you have been in good health since your diagnosis.

I wasn't advised to get genetic testing (or at least, I can't recall). I just can see so many of my mum's symptoms in what I'm currently experiencing. Since I posted I've pretty much had the feeling of pressure, fullness, and trapped wind constantly in my upper stomach (if I place my palm just above my belly button, it's right there), and is made worse with eating. It also feels like I can't pass wind. Burping, on the other hand, is constant and helps to relieve the pressure. But the feeling of not being able to pass wind, the constant fullness/ache in my stomach, and the diarrhoea (which is getting worse) is convincing me I've got a bowel obstruction or something physically sinister causing this pressure.

Thread Information