Thread: Covid - driving me crazy

Covid - driving me crazy

Hello everyone. Haven’t posted in a little while 👋

How is everyone managing their Health anxieties in regards to covid? I’m just wondering? I can’t be the only one spiralling every time I think I feel like I need to cough, or I fixate on a feeling in my throat and convince myself I’m getting a sore one. Or perhaps I feel a hot flush at work and immediately start feeling my back and chest to see if they’re hot?! It’s exhausting on top of general health anxiety 😟 oh.. and not to mention sniffing my perfume bottles and deodorant to see if I can still smell them 😅

I’ve done so much reading and research about Health Anx, and currently working through a CBT work-book at home on my own to try and conquer it. It seems like a mountain though!

We alllllll know sensations become heightened the more we focus on them, and the mind runs off fast before we’ve even had time to calm the thoughts down!

Anyone got any Tips how to manage covid anx? Or anyone feeling the way I do? Sometimes it’s a comfort to know you’re not alone in feeling something isn’t it 🥰

Anyway, best Christmas wishes. Katie xxx

Re: Covid - driving me crazy

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

This was 100% me at the beginning of the pandemic, probably around April 2020. As the world went into lockdown, but i was termed essential, so still out in public and around people daily. Every throat tickle, every time I heard someone slightly cough, do I feel warm? Take my temp 20 times a day, etc etc. I will be honest, not sure how I got out of all that. It’s bad to say but I think it just became normal for me so I eventually stopped focusing on it all. I also listen to a daily program in my area of top infectious disease docs at a large health system here - very factual, non panic driven, explaining things in layman’s terms and helping keep me calm. Not sure what else to tell you, other than so the things you know you can control (get vaccinated, wear a mask in public, social distance, wash hands) and try not to stress over the things you can’t control.

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Not sure what else to tell you, other than so the things you know you can control (get vaccinated, wear a mask in public, social distance, wash hands) and try not to stress over the things you can’t control.
    That's exactly my philosophy right now, about just doing all the above things that we know we can control, trying to carry on doing what we do best while we still can and not getting too bogged down with the things we can't really control.

Thank you both so much! I really appreciate it 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Scared-to-human View Post
    Hello everyone. Haven’t posted in a little while 

How is everyone managing their Health anxieties in regards to covid? I’m just wondering? I can’t be the only one spiralling every time I think I feel like I need to cough, or I fixate on a feeling in my throat and convince myself I’m getting a sore one. Or perhaps I feel a hot flush at work and immediately start feeling my back and chest to see if they’re hot?! It’s exhausting on top of general health anxiety  oh.. and not to mention sniffing my perfume bottles and deodorant to see if I can still smell them 

I’ve done so much reading and research about Health Anx, and currently working through a CBT work-book at home on my own to try and conquer it. It seems like a mountain though!

We alllllll know sensations become heightened the more we focus on them, and the mind runs off fast before we’ve even had time to calm the thoughts down!

Anyone got any Tips how to manage covid anx? Or anyone feeling the way I do? Sometimes it’s a comfort to know you’re not alone in feeling something isn’t it 殺

Anyway, best Christmas wishes. Katie xxx
    Sadly this is how I am. I go through waves where I am fine and not as much anxiety and then something sparks my anxiety and I start worrying and I am really getting tired of it. Last week my husband told me his boss and a bunch of other people in the office of the company he works at have COVID. Thankfully he does not go in the office as he's the driver and doesn't really have to go in the office. He reassured me he hasn't been around any of the people who tested positive but yet each day I sit her and wonder if today is going to be the day symptoms are going to appear. I work from home so I am rarely around people and when I do go to the store I wear a mask and stay away from crowds. (I was like this before COVID - well not wearing a mask but staying away from crowds) My mom did pass away in August 2021 from Covid complications so that could have a lot to do with how I over react to any mention of COVID or someone close to us testing positive but I did react the same way since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020. I do have health anxiety though so I know that contributes a lot. I just wish there was a way to ease the anxiety from this and be more like glassgirlw and Lencoboy. I think learning not to let things you can't control affect you is the biggest thing and knowing that you do what you can to keep yourself safe. I am seeing a therapist and I am working on this and other issues with my inner child from childhood trauma so I know it's a work in progress I just want immediate results for my anxious mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofygirl2015 View Post
    Sadly this is how I am. I go through waves where I am fine and not as much anxiety and then something sparks my anxiety and I start worrying and I am really getting tired of it. Last week my husband told me his boss and a bunch of other people in the office of the company he works at have COVID. Thankfully he does not go in the office as he's the driver and doesn't really have to go in the office. He reassured me he hasn't been around any of the people who tested positive but yet each day I sit her and wonder if today is going to be the day symptoms are going to appear. I work from home so I am rarely around people and when I do go to the store I wear a mask and stay away from crowds. (I was like this before COVID - well not wearing a mask but staying away from crowds) My mom did pass away in August 2021 from Covid complications so that could have a lot to do with how I over react to any mention of COVID or someone close to us testing positive but I did react the same way since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020. I do have health anxiety though so I know that contributes a lot. I just wish there was a way to ease the anxiety from this and be more like glassgirlw and Lencoboy. I think learning not to let things you can't control affect you is the biggest thing and knowing that you do what you can to keep yourself safe. I am seeing a therapist and I am working on this and other issues with my inner child from childhood trauma so I know it's a work in progress I just want immediate results for my anxious mind.
    The biggest thing that has helped me is that I’m vaccinated. I know that even though I’m overweight, I’m much more likely to have very mild symptoms being triple vaxxed. That’s helped my anxiety tremendously

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    I also listen to a daily program in my area of top infectious disease docs at a large health system here - very factual, non panic driven, explaining things in layman’s terms and helping keep me calm.
    Glassgirlw, who are you listening to?

Thread Information