Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Re: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Damn shame it has now started to cause problems at the winter Olympics.

I’m surprised he went when he did really. Being best buds with China, I’m surprised he took the shine off the year China was hosting. Maybe not so bff after all.

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Just as the daily bombardment of the proxy war between the US and Russia in Syria overshadowed the bombing of civilians in Yemen. Similiar civil wars going on in African nations too.
    Yep Terry.The fighting going on in parts of Africa is terrible. The only reporting on Africa and Yemen is on Aljazeera news.
    Syria seems almost forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Yep Terry.The fighting going on in parts of Africa is terrible. The only reporting on Africa and Yemen is on Aljazeera news.
    Syria seems almost forgotten.
    I was actually thinking that the other day that Syria hardly seems to get mentioned of late.

A few years back (around 2017-18), ISTR the media constantly putting the fear of God into us over them and even using them to 'cry wolf' over a possible WW3 that never materialised (especially the Daily Express)!

The media also appear to have piped down over the other long-running nuke-possessing 'bogeyman' nations like Iran and North Korea of late, that the media were also terrifying us witless over pre-Covid.

Hi Phil

Agree with all the comments above.

Just to add my thoughts. This headline also scared me. But if you look beyond the headlines, what they mean when they say some are referring to ww3 having already begun, is the ongoing conflict with Russia since 2014. Encompassing the initial annex of crimea, cyber attacks, incursion near uk air space, Salisbury poisonings etc….

There are no “experts” worth listening to that are so far peddling the idea that military confrontation with Russia is inevitable. Far from it in fact. The facts are that nato is trying to stay out of Russia way.

Keep calm and get some help for your anxiety. We will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Attachment 5489

See this popped up on Apple news without me even looking for it on news today

TBH, as far as a lot of this WW3 talk is concerned, some people believe that the 20+-year-long 'War on Terror' (post-9/11) has technically been WW3 (and still is).

And as mentioned above, this Ukraine conflict did technically begin back in 2014, but it's coverage was kept relatively low-key in this country for the most part. As well as the Salisbury poisoning incident back in 2018 (which I believe was an isolated incident and not directly linked to what's going on right now, plus wasn't actually intended as a full-on attack on the British public per se), there was another likewise incident back in 2006 that was perpetrated by Russians, of which I don't recall the media making that big a deal of at the time, despite happening about a year after the 7/7 attacks, which were still of course fresh in many people's memories at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    TBH, as far as a lot of this WW3 talk is concerned, some people believe that the 20+-year-long 'War on Terror' (post-9/11) has technically been WW3 (and still is).

And as mentioned above, this Ukraine conflict did technically begin back in 2014, but it's coverage was kept relatively low-key in this country for the most part. As well as the Salisbury poisoning incident back in 2018 (which I believe was an isolated incident and not directly linked to what's going on right now, plus wasn't actually intended as a full-on attack on the British public per se), there was another likewise incident back in 2006 that was perpetrated by Russians, of which I don't recall the media making that big a deal of at the time, despite happening about a year after the 7/7 attacks, which were still of course fresh in many people's memories at that time.
    You are correct. Some people maybe already think WW3 some in media probably desperate to call it that. Not sure at which point it becomes a world war but I do remember similar headlines with Iraq and similar wars. It’s important those who spread fear are brought back down to earth and fact checked.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    You are correct. Some people maybe already think WW3 some in media probably desperate to call it that. Not sure at which point it becomes a world war but I do remember similar headlines with Iraq and similar wars. It’s important those who spread fear are brought back down to earth and fact checked.
    It's very much hyperbole Phil, even though I personally think that the very term WW3 already doesn't seem to carry the same weight as it did previously, but at the same time I do think has been a fair bit of 'crying wolf' (or to be more precise, 'crying war') with the term on and off over the past 20-odd years or so.

I think certain newspapers still feel the urge to keep upping the ante with their sensationalism in general, which I think actually seems to have the opposite effect with most people, in the sense that it simply makes people 'switch off' and think 'meh', same old same old!

Hence the expression 'familiarity breeds contempt'.

But they've done more than enough damage now, sadly.

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread Information