Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Moscow have listed impossible demands to NATO which NATO will all but refuse to listen to. This is terrifying me. How is this not front page news everywhere???

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Re: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Hi. I am also very worried about this and it’s triggering my obsessively checking news and I feel myself spiralling.

I don’t know what I can say to help you calm down. The only things I can suggest are to stop reading the news, to do some
    mindfulness or meditation and to be kind to yourself.

In times when I feel worried, I try to remind myself that there’s really nothing that I can do individually about this or most any other situations of international conflict. The time I spend worrying could be spent taking care of myself or doing something else productive or useful.

I’m really sorry you’re worrying; I know what you’re going through.

No one has suggested any specific threats to the UK though so far.

Nor is it the BBC's foremost news article right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    No one has suggested any specific threats to the UK though so far.

Nor is it the BBC's foremost news article right now.
    But a threat/conflict with NATO affects us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Confusion View Post
    But a threat/conflict with NATO affects us all.

Doesn't automatically mean a full-on World War Three though, especially willy-nilly.

Whilst I'm no expert on warfare and likewise subjects, there's obviously various procedures to go through before waltzing into a full-on war of any kind. Plus the situation today is vastly different to that in 1939.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Doesn't automatically mean a full-on World War Three though, especially willy-nilly.

Whilst I'm no expert on warfare and likewise subjects, there's obviously various procedures to go through before waltzing into a full-on war of any kind. Plus the situation today is vastly different to that in 1939.
    Spot on Lenco. Nuclear weapons, for all the terror they create, have kept the world from descending into another full on global conflict since 1945. The mutually assured destruction, should one superpower decide to start loosing the missiles off, is a monumental deterrent. There would be no winner. Putin knows this, Biden knows it. Only an accident, if one was accidentally launched, would lead to trouble. And its not like they have a big red button marked 'fire' that someone could carelessly sit on.

I think Putin is just sabre rattling. Russia has been invaded in the past, think Napoleon and Hitler, and they get edgy sometimes. They have a lot of border to secure.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I think Putin is just sabre rattling.
    He does a lot of that to prop up his regime.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Spot on Lenco. Nuclear weapons, for all the terror they create, have kept the world from descending into another full on global conflict since 1945. The mutually assured destruction, should one superpower decide to start loosing the missiles off, is a monumental deterrent. There would be no winner. Putin knows this, Biden knows it. Only an accident, if one was accidentally launched, would lead to trouble. And its not like they have a big red button marked 'fire' that someone could carelessly sit on.

I think Putin is just sabre rattling. Russia has been invaded in the past, think Napoleon and Hitler, and they get edgy sometimes. They have a lot of border to secure.
    It's most ironic that the advent of nukes, terrifying as they are, have seemingly kept the world from full-on wars since WW2 ended.

Let's face it, Putin has been in power for more than 2 decades now, which is quite a long time, and if something mega drastic was to happen, surely it would already have happened at some point between then and now, even though no doubt someone's likely to pipe up with something like 'it's never too late'.

As far as NATO are concerned, hasn't one of their main aims always been to avert full-on global conflicts? Ditto for the UN, etc?

Also, don't certain protocols according to the Geneva Convention seek to do the same?

I reiterate I'm no expert on the matter, so I'm more than willing to be proved wrong.

Also, remember around this time last year, someone on here was terrified of the thought of Trump pressing a red button (more to do with the election), which never actually came to pass?

I have just read on the BBC News site that it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that UK troops will be deployed in Ukraine.

Oh no. Oh no no no. 2022 is when World War III starts, isn't it!?

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information