Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Re: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    IMHO, The Guardian is generally OK, and so is the Independent, but I would personally beware of the Daily Mail, and The Sun.

As for the Daily Express, it is definitely one I would avoid like the plague when it comes to war subjects.
    He needs to deal with the real underlying issue. Once he does it won't matter what he reads because he will be more rational in approaching the scaremongering and bias. The latter they all suffer from. Now I can read or watch any media and not be bothered in the slightest when earlier in my anxiety social unrest was triggering. He's got to reprogram his subconscious first and it won't trip the cycle off.

Whilst The Guardian will be a less worrying read, until he reaches a better place with hard work, there is always the BBC too. But if the anxiety shifts towards other issues of international friction e.g. trade, beware the bias of them all.

The Express, Mail, etc are very sensationalist though and right now that's all he needs. I'm sure they don't even believe what they write, it's just a format to make money. The Guardian and Indy are less sensational and have lost a lot of readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew1233 View Post
    On fluoxetine for about 5 years now never had cbt
    Theres a link to an online course on the forum which might help you start. It will explain your faulty thinking habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew1233 View Post
    On fluoxetine for about 5 years now never had cbt
    All I can suggest is to repost Anxle's link - https://www.england.nhs.uk/mental-health/adults/iapt/ - but also, if offered CBT ask to speak to a person, do not accept online therapy. There's even a "Dummies" book on the subject but I think you need to speak to a real person.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxle View Post
    Oh give it a rest will you. A Ukrainian border row and a viral pandemic are nothing to do with one another and you know that. If you're willing to wind yourself up like that it's up to you, but think about how it affects other people on a forum for people with anxiety disorders trying to stop their unhealthy way of thinking.
    I'm sorry, that was foolish of me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    He needs to deal with the real underlying issue. Once he does it won't matter what he reads because he will be more rational in approaching the scaremongering and bias. The latter they all suffer from. Now I can read or watch any media and not be bothered in the slightest when earlier in my anxiety social unrest was triggering. He's got to reprogram his subconscious first and it won't trip the cycle off.

Whilst The Guardian will be a less worrying read, until he reaches a better place with hard work, there is always the BBC too. But if the anxiety shifts towards other issues of international friction e.g. trade, beware the bias of them all.

The Express, Mail, etc are very sensationalist though and right now that's all he needs. I'm sure they don't even believe what they write, it's just a format to make money. The Guardian and Indy are less sensational and have lost a lot of readers.
    You're not wrong Terry.

BTW, the BBC is my main 'go-to' site for most news and info I'm interested in.

Publications like The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express, etc seriously do have a lot to answer for in situations like this.

Why are they saying it could be world war 3 if that’s the case why wasn’t Iraq world war 3? Just wondering what makes them use the tag world war. My fear would be calling people up to fight like world war 2?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Why are they saying it could be world war 3 if that’s the case why wasn’t Iraq world war 3? Just wondering what makes them use the tag world war. My fear would be calling people up to fight like world war 2?
    You, yourself, would be barred from call up, if that makes you feel any better?

WW3 if the media dramatizing the current situation, we are currently at the willy waving phase. The US and Russia have been in this situation before, like Vietnam and Afghanistan, one side usually fights a proxy war against the other by arming the opposing side.

Terms like World War Three IMO are often vague, a form of hyperbole and are often bandied around as a form of lazy and shoddy journalism.

Certain media outlets and individuals on social media have have been referencing WW3 on and off over the best part of the past decade in response to various events in places such as Syria, Iran, North Korea, ISIS, the presidency of Trump, the Salisbury poisoning incident, you name it, and has been a recurring source of panic and angst for many on here.

Don't get me wrong, the thought of an all-out global conflict fills me with intense dread, as it obviously does most people, but I just wish certain people/ publications would just tone things down a bit for once and for all, unless there is absolute concrete proof of such a conflict being imminent.

I was watching videos on YouTube tonight from a guy called Robert Walker who runs the Debunking Doomsday Quora site (already mentioned upthread by another poster), and he seems to have a good insight into the current Ukraine/Russia situation, even though I'm not as yet quite sure as to whether or not he is a proven reliable source of info, but it does say that he's from York University.

Does anyone get the impression that we're trying to provoke Mr Putin et al, or is that just me? Imagine for argument's sake, Russia setting up their own club with China. Then let's imagine Canada vote in a hard line left wing government (very unlikely I know) and invite the Russian military to patrol the Canada/US border. I'm sure all of us in NATO would be somewhat irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Does anyone get the impression that we're trying to provoke Mr Putin et al, or is that just me? Imagine for argument's sake, Russia setting up their own club with China. Then let's imagine Canada vote in a hard line left wing government (very unlikely I know) and invite the Russian military to patrol the Canada/US border. I'm sure all of us in NATO would be somewhat irritated.
    China are already provoking the US in the Pacific, we are doing tit for tat over there at the moment. China is building up its fire power and bases in the area. A lot of US sea and air assets are committed to the Pacific, Putin knows this and is hoping to stretch the US commitment with Ukraine to see how much power projection the US will deploy.
    The Chinese Pacific threat has caused the Japanese for the first time since WW2 to drop the pretence of only having a 'defence' force with a big ramp up of military power. Quite a lot of western friendly governments in the area are also increasing their military hardware footprint.
    Ukraine is a bit of a sideshow to what's going on in the Pacific which is a slow burner, but of much greater significance globally.

Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information