Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Re: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Oh no. Oh no no no. 2022 is when World War III starts, isn't it!?
    Who told you that Frank? WW3 has been forecast to start about every year since WW2 came to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Who told you that Frank? WW3 has been forecast to start about every year since WW2 came to an end.
    It seems apparent to me. Have you noticed how a major crisis happens early in January?

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    So what you're basically implying to a certain degree is 'twas ever thus'.

It's one of those hyped-up 'worst-case scenario' things that keeps getting trotted out every now and then by certain media publications, and no doubt by certain factions on social media. A kind of 'crying wolf' situation?

Don't get me wrong, the thought of a full-on war really fills me with immense dread, but for us to actually go this long since 1945 without a third world war is some kind of feat in itself.

Probably (and most ironically), like you already said upthread, due to the advent of nuke weaponry, as scary as it is.

I reckon Confusion, FrankT and others of their ilk should try to avoid certain publications like the Daily Depress like the plague, as they have always had a penchant for such hypothetical scare stories!

Also there doesn't appear to be 'new' news on the BBC site today about this Ukraine 'crisis'.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 22-12-21 at 11:13.

It seems apparent to me. Have you noticed how a major crisis happens early in January?
    But major crises can happen during any month of the year, Frank, not just in early January.

And not just wars either.

What will be the outcome if Russia and the U.S can't agree to anything in the upcoming talks?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Nothing drastic, that's for sure.

Nothing drastic, that's for sure.
    Do you mean that frank or is this sarcasm? I hope it's not.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Well I'd think it'd take more than a lack of agreement at a summit to cause a total breakdown of relations.

Well I'd think it'd take more than a lack of agreement at a summit to cause a total breakdown of relations.
    I doubt the UK govt would rush to get involved in any such conflict right now, after all it would basically be political suicide for Boris and Co right now, what with scandal after scandal already!

For anyone reading this thread: firstly I'm as scared as any of you. I've lived with the fear of WW3 since I was about 8 years old and saw some Panorama program about this. Very scary. These incidents have cropped up over the years time and time again. Remeber early Jan 2020? You can find threads on this forum from back then and yes here we all are (still). Im not playing it down but these forums have some very good level headed people on them and its been a source of relief for me reading some of these posts over the years. The points made here about deterrent are very solid points that should give you some comfort.

To cut a very long story short I'm currently go thorugh therapy and have some CBT workbooks about how to manage worries. Ive been using this over the last week to "postpone" these worries and it really does help. Its not easy and not an instant fix but I'm working on trying to get my worrying under control (not just this subject but a number of things). The idea is not to suppress the worry but also not to give time to it either, just acknowledge it (you can even say out loud "thanks for the reminder") and then set a time of day to send say 15 mins giving thought to your worries. This is called thinking time and its time for you to think about those things in a constructive way. Its a bit of a balance not suppressing and not giving time but distraction on tasks like work or such really help. Follow up thinking time with something you like doing like a book, music etc

Yesterday I did look at headlines but what I found is when I read into the contents or articles its more pragmatic a lot of headlines shout to grab attention whereas the content is much more palatable (usually) - but choose your news sources well, avoid tabloids etc. Some folks on here have already shared some alternative news sources (thank you)

Remeber we are all in the same boat, we all have lives, kids worries. You're not alone, together we'll get through this!

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information