Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Re: Ukraine. Fear or war. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by edgeofpanic View Post
    For anyone reading this thread: firstly I'm as scared as any of you. I've lived with the fear of WW3 since I was about 8 years old and saw some Panorama program about this. Very scary. These incidents have cropped up over the years time and time again. Remeber early Jan 2020? You can find threads on this forum from back then and yes here we all are (still). Im not playing it down but these forums have some very good level headed people on them and its been a source of relief for me reading some of these posts over the years. The points made here about deterrent are very solid points that should give you some comfort.

To cut a very long story short I'm currently go thorugh therapy and have some CBT workbooks about how to manage worries. Ive been using this over the last week to "postpone" these worries and it really does help. Its not easy and not an instant fix but I'm working on trying to get my worrying under control (not just this subject but a number of things). The idea is not to suppress the worry but also not to give time to it either, just acknowledge it (you can even say out loud "thanks for the reminder") and then set a time of day to send say 15 mins giving thought to your worries. This is called thinking time and its time for you to think about those things in a constructive way. Its a bit of a balance not suppressing and not giving time but distraction on tasks like work or such really help. Follow up thinking time with something you like doing like a book, music etc

Yesterday I did look at headlines but what I found is when I read into the contents or articles its more pragmatic a lot of headlines shout to grab attention whereas the content is much more palatable (usually) - but choose your news sources well, avoid tabloids etc. Some folks on here have already shared some alternative news sources (thank you)

Remeber we are all in the same boat, we all have lives, kids worries. You're not alone, together we'll get through this!
    Thank you for this. I'm avoiding all news ATM. Just trying to get through each day and hoping that by the time I'm relatively back to normal, all of this will have somewhat blown over.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Today the Ukraine vs Russia thingy seems to have slipped right down the pecking order of virtually all the major news outlets (notably the BBC and Sky News).

Yesterday it seemed to occupy the foremost headline slot in nearly all the UK's outlets after mostly being lower key and more 'in the background' since around November-December, but yesterday also seemed to be a slower news day on the domestic front.

Although I'm trying to keep a level head during all of this but I can't help wondering how this current situation compares with that of say, 1939?

The last-but-one post was very interesting as he/she harked back to the panic expressed on here concerning the Iran atrocities in early January 2020 and various other similar war-related panics that have been known to crop up before it every now and then; another fairly recent example prior to then being in the spring of 2018 following the Salisbury poisoning incident in early March followed by (unconnected) atrocities in Syria around early April.

Of course what will be will be, and the media must ultimately report on the Ukraine/Russia affair responsibly and with minimal scaremongering/
    sensationalism over what might or might not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeofpanic View Post
    For anyone reading this thread: firstly I'm as scared as any of you. I've lived with the fear of WW3 since I was about 8 years old and saw some Panorama program about this. Very scary. These incidents have cropped up over the years time and time again. Remeber early Jan 2020? You can find threads on this forum from back then and yes here we all are (still). Im not playing it down but these forums have some very good level headed people on them and its been a source of relief for me reading some of these posts over the years. The points made here about deterrent are very solid points that should give you some comfort.

To cut a very long story short I'm currently go thorugh therapy and have some CBT workbooks about how to manage worries. Ive been using this over the last week to "postpone" these worries and it really does help. Its not easy and not an instant fix but I'm working on trying to get my worrying under control (not just this subject but a number of things). The idea is not to suppress the worry but also not to give time to it either, just acknowledge it (you can even say out loud "thanks for the reminder") and then set a time of day to send say 15 mins giving thought to your worries. This is called thinking time and its time for you to think about those things in a constructive way. Its a bit of a balance not suppressing and not giving time but distraction on tasks like work or such really help. Follow up thinking time with something you like doing like a book, music etc

Yesterday I did look at headlines but what I found is when I read into the contents or articles its more pragmatic a lot of headlines shout to grab attention whereas the content is much more palatable (usually) - but choose your news sources well, avoid tabloids etc. Some folks on here have already shared some alternative news sources (thank you)

Remeber we are all in the same boat, we all have lives, kids worries. You're not alone, together we'll get through this!
    Very wise words.

I told you this would be the January crisis. Now I'm convinced we're heading for a nuclear war. I don't know what to do, what to say. I had a meltdown over it last night. I haven't had one that bad since 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    I told you this would be the January crisis. Now I'm convinced we're heading for a nuclear war. I don't know what to do, what to say. I had a meltdown over it last night. I haven't had one that bad since 2016.
    But nothing has actually happened yet though Frank.

There's still ongoing negotiations as opposed to waltzing into a full-blown world war willy-nilly. I thought that one of the main purposes of NATO, the UN, etc was to lessen the chances of all-out 1940s style global conflicts.

Also, are Russia still the same beasts they were back in the 70s and 80s era?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Also, are Russia still the same beasts they were back in the 70s and 80s era?
    I assume so.

Have built a bunker,Frank?

It's scary I know, I am worried but try reading this: https://debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/...-attack-the-Uk

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew1233 View Post
    It's scary I know, I am worried but try reading this: https://debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/...-attack-the-Uk
    This is very helpful and reassuring. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Confusion View Post
    This is very helpful and reassuring. Thank you.

No problem, apparently the guy who writes that is reliable and uses good sources to back his claims, he also has articles on the Doomsday Clock and Nuclear War too

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information