Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stomach flu or something else?

Stomach flu or something else?

Hey everyone,

I'm having diarrhea for 3 days now. It started friday night, my stupid self ate a can of Ben & Jerry's after that and then loads of diarrhea which is still happening. My rational self says it's probably a stomach flu or maybe the ice cream triggered something, but being a hypochondriac I'm obviously thinking the worst. Doctor websites recommend going to the doctor after 3 days of diarrhea, and since that is the case tomorrow I'm really anxious. There is no blood, obviously some weightloss because I don't feel like eating, no fever. I'm dreading the doctor's visit. Has anyone else had diarrhea this long?

Re: Stomach flu or something else?

After reading this back I realise how stupid this question is. Of course people can have diarrhea for more than a few days. I guess the lockdown over here is affecting my anxiety. I'm really scared something will be wrong with me and there is no place for me in the hospital. Plus my digestion is all over the place.

My daughter vomited last night so I guess that makes it a stomach flu. I still have to go to the toilet all the time, and to be honest still worried it's something more serious.

Anyone? Still watery diarrhea more than 10 times a day. I can't eat anything and I'm smoking cigarettes to cope with the stress. Day 4 and still no relief of symptoms. Normally when I have the flu I at least feel somewhat better but it does not happen right now.

Could well still be just the stomach bug. Keep your fluids up, maybe get something to help with dehydration. Try and eat some plain foods, rice, toast, something like that. Smoking so much will suppress your appetite, so try and cut back a little (I smoke, so I know that isn't easy). Give it some time.

Thanks for the reply. My rational self knows it's probably something like gastroenteritis, but the waiting game is killing me. I'm afraid that if this isn't gone within 7 days I have to visit the doctor and will receive bad news. It's impossible to relax. My appetite is completely gone. I will try to wait it out

I had a diarrhea bug 2 years ago this December. Almost purely water at times, and lasted 3-5 days - not sure how long. Also had a mild fever. Took probably 7 days for bowels to return to 'normal'.

But like you, I was worrying about other things.

Try drinking flat lucozade if you have that in the Netherlands. Doctor once said to me that's one of the best things to drink when you have a stomach bug.

Thanks for the reply. Well it cleared up today all of a sudden. I can smack myself in the head, this has been a vicious circle for years now. Symptoms..worry..symptoms gone..relief..new symptoms. I'll probably be back again in a few weeks. Once again thanks!

Hey, this thread is really helping me. I'm going through hell right now with watery diarrhoea. It is awful. I've been so worried about it.

If it's any help Kalny, about 10 years ago I had a quite persistent stomach bug. It came on very suddenly, which acute stomach pain which woke me up, vomiting at first, and the sort of watery diarrhoea that makes you reluctant to stray too far away from the bathroom. I had two be careful for about two weeks... and it went away of its own accord.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information