Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Random/innocuous things that cause you great anxiety?

Re: Random/innocuous things that cause you great anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Apparently Steve Jobs had Koumpounophobia. That explains the polo necks.
    How does it feel to be a Koumpounophobic, Catkins? It would be a marvellous question to have on "Mastermind" or "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

Do you know what set it off in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    How does it feel to be a Koumpounophobic, Catkins? It would be a marvellous question to have on "Mastermind" or "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

Do you know what set it off in the first place?
    I'm actually quite pleased that it isn't just me to be honest. I kind of always thought it was. I'm mostly OK with them now, well I say that, I guess I'm not totally OK, I would still choose a garment without buttons over one with, and men wearing dress shirts buttoned right up but wearing no tie I find incredibly unsettling.

Where did it come from? I remember as a kid my nan used always knit me these crew neck cardigans with plastic buttons on that would always be too large for the button holes. For some reason it was always deemed appropriate for them to be buttoned right up and I can remember what a faff it was trying to do that and my mum would have a right fiddle to do it, and then you'd have the obligatory photo to send to my nan to show that we were wearing them.

Maybe it's to do with that? Who knows? But a button jar, with spare buttons in, is the stuff of nightmares to me.

Hopefully you don't come across too many of these randomly these days? Must be a throwback to tight/restrictive buttoning-upping to please your nan in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Hopefully you don't come across too many of these randomly these days? Must be a throwback to tight/restrictive buttoning-upping to please your nan in some way?
    Which in itself can be a recipe for discomfort among some, especially us Auties.

Thankfully most of us seem to be a bit more laid back over the way we dress nowadays, provided we're not looking like full-on scruff-bags of course.

Let's face it, me and my dad only ever wear ties at weddings and funerals.

I look like a scruffbag

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    I look like a scruffbag
    Well I can't see any photos of you so I therefore can't comment!

I got a microgreens gardening kit from my niece for Christmas and I was just saying things like that and planting seeds give me anxiety. I guess I am afraid of messing it up so it's easier to do nothing with it which gives me a whole other kind of anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofygirl2015 View Post
    I got a microgreens gardening kit from my niece for Christmas and I was just saying things like that and planting seeds give me anxiety. I guess I am afraid of messing it up so it's easier to do nothing with it which gives me a whole other kind of anxiety.
    Fear of failure, possibly.

Gum!! I don’t like the way most of it looks or feels and I certainly do not like listening to people chewing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntWithIssues87 View Post
    Gum!! I don’t like the way most of it looks or feels and I certainly do not like listening to people chewing it.
    I'm sure I read somewhere once that some autie children get freaked out by bits of chewing gum stuck to the underside of tables, etc.

On a similar note, although I can now laugh about this, when I was about 5 my mom's ironing board had this yellowy-coloured strip of sponge/foam that was shaped like a potato chip (French fry in the USA) stuck to the underside, and it used to freak me out big time, even to the point of developing a full-on phobia of said ironing board!

Needless to say, it put me off eating chips for about 6 months or so, and I had to have circular-shaped chips instead.

Luckily that ironing board phobia was only short-lived, and just a passing fad.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information