Thread: Gum worries

Gum worries

Hi

Gums bleed badly when brushing and also not when brushing. Was all triggered when I got a new toothbrush couple of months ago I think. Think it might be getting worse. My brush is very rough and bristly and just cause bleeding when I brush. I do not floss. Have been trying mouthwash with chlorhexidine but it has caused my lip to breka out in a rash so Im not really a fan of that anymore.
    I need a new toothbrush clearly with softer bristles. What else should I do? Is this dangerous.

Re: Gum worries

Instead of chlorhexidine you could gargle with salt water and yes switch to a softer toothbrush. It should then settle right down.

It sounds like you maybe need a trip to the oral hygenist, to have a good descaling and clean. Have you been recently ? Inflammed gums, that bleed this way are usually due to plaque and bacterial build up that causes gum inflammation and easy bleeding. (I know you have brought up on the forum about bleeding gums before, and have general 'mouth worries', and I can see in a previous post that you were told you had 'mild gingivitis'.)
    Last edited by Carys; 20-12-21 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    It sounds like you maybe need a trip to the oral hygenist, to have a good descaling and clean. Have you been recently ? Inflammed gums, that bleed this way are usually due to plaque and bacterial build up that causes gum inflammation and easy bleeding. (I know you have brought up on the forum about bleeding gums before, and have general 'mouth worries', and I can see in a previous post that you were told you had 'mild gingivitis'.)
    Thanks. Probably will do after Christmas, I was told about the gingivitis 2 years ago and it flares up this time badly. It's really annoying. Got a new soft toothbrush and trying a new mouthwash.

Mouthwash won't do much I'm afraid to say. Once you've had a good cleaning out of below the gumline, you can then use interdental brushes and floss and that will stop it coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Mouthwash won't do much I'm afraid to say. Once you've had a good cleaning out of below the gumline, you can then use interdental brushes and floss and that will stop it coming back.
    I'll try it anyway. Annoying thing is this was all triggered by a new toothbrush.

Blood in saliva some morning

I have a history with gum disease as can be seen in my previous posts, but some mornings (not all) I spit blood and have a bloody taste in my mouth. I think it is gum disease but I hope it isn't anything dangerous. I am not coughing at all. Seeing dentist next month. Mouthwash sort of helps for a bit but still bleeding a bit while brushing.

Re: Blood in saliva some morning

This is super common. The NHS website actually says "Most adults in the UK have gum disease to some degree." You'll be fine

Re: Blood in saliva some morning

As I said on a previous post you made you need to see the oral hygienist, a good clean and hygiene (flossing and interdental brushing) will sort it out I'm sure.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information