Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dentist tomorrow. Extraction, and filling.

Re: Dentist tomorrow. Extraction, and filling.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Ps. Anybody that says they've removed their own tooth is a complete liar. No way on this planet could one remove their own tooth and not be in so much pain they pass out.
    I pulled a "milk tooth" out with my Dad's pliers when I was about seven or eight... but they're meant to come out anyway!

Grown up teeth - no ta. And I know from my dentist and the x-rays I've had that *all* of them have much longer roots than normal, the upper incisors and canines especially.

However, this ain't about me, it's about you. Sure, you've been through hell but I'll wager you're pleased you did it on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I honestly don't understand why this was painful if he had used injected anaesthetic ? He shouldn't have proceeded without checking the injection had worked.
    I think it's because I requested no novacaine or lidocaine, which is why he injected me so much. Those 2 make my heartrate skyrocket so I tend to tell the dentist not to use them. I don't blame the dentist here, without them it's common to have pain issues.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I pulled a "milk tooth" out with my Dad's pliers when I was about seven or eight... but they're meant to come out anyway!.
    That makes me shudder! Damn.

But yes, so much better mate, and I wish everybody well during the Christmas period.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Ps. Anybody that says they've removed their own tooth is a complete liar. No way on this planet could one remove their own tooth and not be in so much pain they pass out.
    My son would disagree with this after 10 DIY extractions..

Glad you had your extraction done conventionally and keep up with the salt water rinses now to prevent infection. Well done for getting it done.

I think it's because I requested no novacaine or lidocaine, which is why he injected me so much. Those 2 make my heartrate skyrocket so I tend to tell the dentist not to use them. I don't blame the dentist here, without them it's common to have pain issues.
    ....but what did they use then ? AS you said you had injections ?

By the way, just for reference, they don't change your heart rate, they can't do that. Its the anxiety doing that, and the fear you are about to have anaphylaxis . The amount of adrenaline in them is miniscule and remains locally in the tissues anyway.

Well done! I've had so much dental work in my day that it's probably the only health thing that doesn't worry me! I also hate Novocain because I cannot stand the numb feeling, so I always have things done without if at all possible. I've never done an extraction without it, but I have had several cavities done with no numbing. If it's not too deep you can't feel anything!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My son would disagree with this after 10 DIY extractions..

Glad you had your extraction done conventionally and keep up with the salt water rinses now to prevent infection. Well done for getting it done.
    Sorry Pulisa, I forgot about that. He must have an insane pain threshold. And thank you for the salt water advice, best do that now as I haven't done it yet.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    ....but what did they use then ? AS you said you had injections ?

By the way, just for reference, they don't change your heart rate, they can't do that. Its the anxiety doing that, and the fear you are about to have anaphylaxis . The amount of adrenaline in them is miniscule and remains locally in the tissues anyway.
    Sorry for the confusion. I did have the numbing injection, but I asked them not to add the novacaine to it. I believe when they add that it increases the numbing. And I do completely agree with you, us anxiety folk tend to blow things way out of proportion.

I've got a few needle poke holes that I can feel and I'm pretty sore all around. But it's still much better than the tooth pain.

I had a bit of anxiety today because I did a bit of stupid Googling on whether the injections can cause lasting damage. I've closed Mr. Google down now.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    Well done! I've had so much dental work in my day that it's probably the only health thing that doesn't worry me! I also hate Novocain because I cannot stand the numb feeling, so I always have things done without if at all possible. I've never done an extraction without it, but I have had several cavities done with no numbing. If it's not too deep you can't feel anything!
    Thanks for sharing Erin. I've got a filling that needs doing as they wouldn't do the filling at yesterdays appointment. But, it's at the point where it can be done without numbing. I fear if this is left much longer I'll need an injection. Sadly all my local dentists are shut down saying they have no appointments until at least February.

☪️️

Sorry for the confusion. I did have the numbing injection, but I asked them not to add the novacaine to it. I believe when they add that it increases the numbing. And I do completely agree with you, us anxiety folk tend to blow things way out of proportion.

I've got a few needle poke holes that I can feel and I'm pretty sore all around. But it's still much better than the tooth pain.

I had a bit of anxiety today because I did a bit of stupid Googling on whether the injections can cause lasting damage. I've closed Mr. Google down now.
    I think Dr Google can cause lasting damage....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information