Thread: ibc worry and mum in last stage of dementia

ibc worry and mum in last stage of dementia

Hi i have suffered with anxiety and health anxiety for over 20 years now and im so scared and just dont know what to do ...my Gp has refered me to a breast clinic for an ultrasound, the appointment is on friday morning, im so scared that they are going to tell me i have ibc, im shaking writing this post, i went to see the doc with red inflamed/warm breast, he checked me and said he thinks i have a breast infection, he also said my lymph node was a bit swollen under my arm and it felt smooth and refered me to a breast clinic,im on anti biotics for it,i only have 2 left and im worried as the redness is still there, my breast isnt hard or swollen nor do i have a inverted nipple but i do have open pores around my breast in places but it dosent feel or look like the classic orange peel, i can only see the open pores in certain lights if you see what i mean ..all this started around 3 weeks ago but only went to drs last week with it after i googled and found out that it could be ibc, i never heard of it before i googled and im now literally freaking out about it, my gp said it was more likely to be a breast infection but im 58 and i read that mastitis is rare and only really affects breast feeding mums, so im now convinced i have this cancer ...also my mum is in the last stage of dementia and the hospital said shes losing the will to live, shes not eating or drinking and going down hill ...im at my wits end and my anxiety is through the roof atm...thank you for reading x

Re: ibc worry and mum in last stage of dementia

Hi there, welcome to NMP but I'm really sorry that such a horrible situation has brought you here ! I'm so dreadfully sorry, genuinely, what a double whammy you are being thrown here and all at Christmas too. (Not that it matters but you've put your post in the forum for Bowel and stomach problems, maybe admin might move it ?). You are doing absolutely the right thing to see your GP and get the referral as if there was something that needed treatment then the sooner it is done the better, but I know how psychologically tough waiting for the appointment can be and how utterly terrifying, to the depths of your stomach, the thought is that you might have a form of Breast cancer. I think to be honest that your concerns about your health are legitimate right now, in that you have some very definite symptoms and have been referred, but of course that doesn't mean that you do have IBC. It could indeed still be an infection (this isn't the right antibiotic), or another benign condition - remember that breast clinics are there for all matters relating to that area of the body and not just BC - 80 percent of cases which are referred are for benign reasons. Its so awful waiting for the clinic, only there will you get the answers, no amount of reading up or judging, comparing or analysing to other online cases will give you what you are desperately seeking now, to hear that its nothing - but you still hope to find an answer because your mind is in a state of turbulence and its something I recognise. You just want this fear and pain to go away, it feels overwhelming. Do you have anyone who is supporting you and is going with you to the clinic ?

Can I recommend to you the following website, if you've not already come across it. It isn't just for people (because men get BC too) with BC, but for anybody who has concerns, referrals or general queries about Breast health. There are forums and a section where you can ask nurses anything, along with a helpline number. YOu will need to find the right forum for 'I am waiting for tests' or 'I am worried I have BC', and I would definitely suggest not reading on the other forums as it won't help your mental state.

Last edited by Carys; 22-12-21 at 21:24.

thank you for your lovely reply ...i just realised that i posted in the wrong place ...so sorry! my first time posting on here, im hoping that it isn't ibc, saying that i was told this type of breast cancer is very rare but there is always a possibility that it could be.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hiyer, its not a problem you posting in the wrong forum, don't worry. I was more concerned that people who you wanted replies from might not see it.

saying that i was told this type of breast cancer is very rare but there is always a possibility that it could be.
    Yes it is very rare amongst the different forms of BC, and its more common in younger women, but knowing this won't clear out the 'but it could be me, its possible' thoughts will it :/ I wasn't there for your GP discussion, to hear the stress he/she put on different things you discussed or hear the tone, but I know that when you are scared or have a background of HA you just hear the negative side, or at least emphasis it more mentally. However, even if you have done that (emphasised the biggest fear), you still have the clinic to get through and that will just be a case of having to get there and do it as there is very little that can be said to make that experience easier. Luckily its not long to wait now and hopefully you can come out tomorrow ready to move on and know what is causing your problem. The uncertainty will come to an end. Use this forum as a place to release your feelings leading up to it, a safe place where you can 'cry'.

Did this area come up suddenly and has it changed in the last few weeks, out of interest ?

How did it go ?

Hi Carys, im sorry i never replied sooner but it turned out to be breast cancer and my head has been all over the place, luckily it was a primary cancer and not IBC i had chemotherapy, surgery, radiotherapy and so relieved that i am cancer free, physically that is!!, mentally im a total mess, anxiety is through the roof, im still having treatment to "hopefully" prevent recurrence (injection once every 3 weeks) ive been having a lot of tummy issues, like bloated, feeling queezy on and off, cant eat much, been jumping out of bed from a deep sleep feeling like i cant breathe, blurry eyes, basically im a mess because of anxiety.

Congratulations on getting through all of that, it’s no surprise that you’re now processing all that you’ve been through. Can any of your nurses or doctors help you with your anxiety at all?

Thread Information