Thread: Did anyone miss new music releases on vinyl records after the early 90s?

Did anyone miss new music releases on vinyl records after the early 90s?

Just curious to know whether anyone was saddened to see new album and single releases on vinyl rapidly disappear from stores from around 1992-93 onwards, or were glad to see the back of them in favour of CDs, which were/are far more convenient, and of course, sonically superior in the opinions of the vast majority, especially at the time?

I personally was saddened, as despite CDs being technically superior (in most instances) and more convenient, they simply lacked the tangible tactile experience of carefully removing the records from their sleeves without touching the grooves, loading them onto the player, and hearing that elusive stylus plop when setting down on the run-in groove at the start of a record side, plus seeing the records themselves and their centre labels rotating on the turntable during play.

Most ironically, the wheel seems to have come full circle (pardon the pun) with the vinyl revival over the past 15 years or so, and CDs now generally becoming less popular, all of which most certainly would have been considered unthinkable some 20 years ago.

Re: Did anyone miss new music releases on vinyl records after the early 90s?

I spent most of my career in the music industry as a performer and more specifically in the music manufacturing industry (day job). I started when vinyl was still king and CDs were just coming on the scene. Cassettes were the rage back then as well. I experienced the trends and evolution and know full well the debate between digital and analog. I also saw the trend begin and expand over downloads and streaming. I've seen it all.

I still have vinyl and I've seen the comeback. There is something to be said about the packaging and sound but then again, to really experience it, you need the $$$ to buy the high end gear to play it. I've digitized most of my collection and it's on an external hard drive. Definitely a space saver as opposed to walls full of albums and cassettes. I personally have CDs of my own music that I sell at my shows (hopefully someday I'll be performing again). Currently the edge goes to digital over physical product but that said, I look at the industry like Occupy Wall Street but its Occupy Indie Music. There's the 1% that sell millions and the 99% that don't. That 99% (of which I'm part of) needs and should have product and merch. My take on it is, 'You can't sign a download'.

All that said, it comes down to your personal preference.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I spent most of my career in the music industry as a performer and more specifically in the music manufacturing industry (day job). I started when vinyl was still king and CDs were just coming on the scene. Cassettes were the rage back then as well. I experienced the trends and evolution and know full well the debate between digital and analog. I also saw the trend begin and expand over downloads and streaming. I've seen it all.

I still have vinyl and I've seen the comeback. There is something to be said about the packaging and sound but then again, to really experience it, you need the $$$ to buy the high end gear to play it. I've digitized most of my collection and it's on an external hard drive. Definitely a space saver as opposed to walls full of albums and cassettes. I personally have CDs of my own music that I sell at my shows (hopefully someday I'll be performing again). Currently the edge goes to digital over physical product but that said, I look at the industry like Occupy Wall Street but its Occupy Indie Music. There's the 1% that sell millions and the 99% that don't. That 99% (of which I'm part of) needs and should have product and merch. My take on it is, 'You can't sign a download'.

All that said, it comes down to your personal preference.

FMP
    I agree that it's all subjective amongst each individual.

On another note, I bet you also remember during the first half of the 80s a lot of the hoo-ha over the 'Home taping is killing music' thing and calls from major labels to govts to impose levies on blank tape media, which was mostly in the UK, but probably also happened in many other countries around the world, including the USA.

Then in the very late 90s and early 2000s it was consumer CD-Rs and CD copying that were the 'bogeyman' of the industry, followed by online piracy (e.g, Napster, Kazaa, Pirate Bay, etc) by the mid-2000s.

Strangely, as the 2010s wore on, the industry panics over music piracy seemed to die down, and (for better or worse) people don't apoear to be making such a big deal over it these days.

I still have a lot of vinyl some worth a quid.I sold a Rolling Stones album to Slash when he was in Sydney.

Personally I prefer vinyl any day. It seems more raw and real. Vinyl keeps its price. CDs don't. CDs can also get scratched and at times won't play at all. I find a crackle on a record quite nostalgic.
    I also prefer old style recording on a deck. All that cut and paste is a bit fake to me. But I understand the need for digital for the industry we have today.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Personally I prefer vinyl any day. It seems more raw and real. Vinyl keeps its price. CDs don't. CDs can also get scratched and at times won't play at all. I find a crackle on a record quite nostalgic.
    I also prefer old style recording on a deck. All that cut and paste is a bit fake to me. But I understand the need for digital for the industry we have today.
    Having said that, I've read stuff from the past about old-school tape recording being controversial amongst old-time 'purists' back in the late 1940s-early 50s, especially with the ability to 'cut-and-splice' the best bits of various 'takes' of a song into one good one, which was believed by those 'purists' to be cheating and lazy production at the time.

But it never did the likes of The Beatles any harm, in fact, it actually helped make them what they became, and still known and loved so dearly for today!

Thread Information