Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's MS, I know it is...

Re: It's MS, I know it is...

Sorry to hear you're going through so much anxiety about this. I hope your doctors find a solution for you.

One thing I wanted to mention regarding MS, is that that symptoms associated with it can have hundreds of other causes. That's likely why a lot of us on here jump to it as a conclusion when we get numbness and tingling. Google will throw it up as the first option simply because of the keywords we use to search our symptoms. The real cause could be something entirely different. Like somebody else mentioned, deficiencies can cause those symptoms too, as can many other benign things

hi there

B12 absorption issues aren't always easy to detect; you number is just a bit lower than mine and I was still suggested to supplement. I have had similar issues to the symptoms you describe in the past, too -- tingling, buzzing, numbness, pain. Plus blurry vision, shortness of breath, cold hands and feet.
    All fixed by figuring out what to supplement with (under medical advice.)

Honestly... if you hyper focus / look for neurological bodily sensations, your body has a way of producing them. Perhaps because your brain, the bit that's doing the "looking," is part of the system it is "looking" at!

At any rate, MS is not anywhere near the death sentence you seem to think it is. Of the four people I know who have it, only one has mobility issues... and I'm talking about people here whose ages range 45-70.
    And this is your WORST case scenario!

I think you are going to be just fine, and I really mean that. Best wishes.

Wow I'm so sorry you've dealt with health anxiety for so long. 😔 I agree, we spend so much of our lives thinking the worst is going to happen that we don't realise how much time we've actually wasted. I know this but the health anxiety always seems to creep back in. I hope your CBT course works for you, I'm currently looking into CBT myself!

Thanks for your reply! 😊 The irony is I've actually worked in search engine optimisation (SEO) so completely understand how Google searches work, yet I always let the health anxiety tell me that Dr. Google is right!

Hello, thanks for your message! 😊 Oh really? That's interesting, my B12 was tested on 30th November 2021, which is when I found out it was 225 - is this enough time for it to drop further?

I definitely think I could have a range of vitamin deficiencies since my gallbladder removal as I wasn't eating more than 500 calories for 3 months, plus I was bed bound. I wasn't eating harshly any foods rich in B12 (milk, cheese and eggs) because they'd cause a gallbladder attack, plus I've been vegetarian for about 5 years now so don't get any from meat. I'm currently on an iron supplement that I bought from a health foods store so I'm going to assume this might not be enough of a dosage to make a difference if I am borderline B12 deficiency?

There's also a lot of evidence to show how a lack of a gallbladder can cause deficiencies in a lot of fat soluble vitamins.

Annoyingly I feel like cuts with the NHS will mean that they'd be unlikely to run lots of blood tests to solve this but I'll definitely try and push my GP to do them. I had to pay for my vitamin D blood test privately because my GP said "if your calcium levels are normal so will your vitamin D be" which wasn't the case at all, mine was at 29!

Thanks for the info about MS too, that's helped me realise it wouldn't be the end of my life if I did have it, even though it's unlikely. 😊
    Last edited by DanniDaniDanni; 04-01-22 at 04:14.

Quote Originally Posted by DanniDaniDanni View Post
    Thanks for your reply!  The irony is I've actually worked in search engine optimisation (SEO) so completely understand how Google searches work, yet I always let the health anxiety tell me that Dr. Google is right!
    Same here, yet I always seem to forget when I'm caught up in a worry. Irony could be my middle name at this point!

Just to add to my previous post, I know a few people with MS, and for many of them, it has only mildly impacted their lives. They're more active and healthy than their partners!

Deficiencies can be sneaky, and like you say about the NHS cuts etc, they do tend to be reluctant to do any "deep dives" past the general blood checks. However if you have numbness and other symptoms that indicate any neurological issues, they are likely to check your B12 and folate levels as standard. They did this with me before referring me to neurology.

200-300 B12 is considered borderline low in many countries. I'm not sure why they don't seem to treat it here until its below 200. Mine is 233 and according to my GP that's perfectly normal.

If you don't mind me asking, did your neurology appointment discover anything, what kind of tests did they run? Obviously don't have to tell me if you'd rather not.

That's good to hear, I think I need to remember that MS is 1. Rare, it's likely to be some other neurological issue and 2. It isn't the death sentence I seem to think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DanniDaniDanni View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, did your neurology appointment discover anything, what kind of tests did they run? Obviously don't have to tell me if you'd rather not.

That's good to hear, I think I need to remember that MS is 1. Rare, it's likely to be some other neurological issue and 2. It isn't the death sentence I seem to think it is.
    No problem at all I'm actually still waiting to see the new neuro at the moment. It's for symptoms that have become increasingly worse, and I saw a neuro previously for it. They ran a brain and neck MRI and did things like reflex tests, eye exams and tested my balance and co-ordination. They're going to run the same tests again to make sure I don't have spinal compression from neck instability (this is SUPER rare too I just have really bad hypermobility in my joints). Ironically, they're ruling MS out too, but even with clinical loss of sensation, and actual observable loss of balance, they're 99.9% sure it isn't MS. Just goes to show how rare it is!

Did all these symptoms end up going away?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information