Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's MS, I know it is...

It's MS, I know it is...

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some advice as I am 110% convinced that I have MS, I see no other possible explanation. I'm a 25 year old female, so higher risk simply because of my gender and MS is most often diagnosed in those aged 20-30.

A week ago I started experiencing random pins and needles in both my hands and feet that radiates up my lower legs, with almost an electric shock feeling on the soles of my feet. The tingling tends to disappear once I'm up and moving and feels worse at night. My left leg feels a bit numb at night but I do tend to sleep on this side. I also have pain in the back of my neck near my spine, my left outer thigh and back of my legs, plus night sweats, general joint pain and eye floaters (I've always had these). I Googled my symptoms and surprise surprise, MS popped up!!!

Now I will admit that the week before I'd had a extreme health anxiety induced period after a few of my family members caught COVID (I didn't thankfully) but the constant testing made me feel seriously stressed and mimicked a lot of COVID symptoms. I was also worrying about having an autoimmune disease like lupus after googling muscle aches and fatigue but thankfully my ANA blood test came back negative.

I went to visit a doctor today (not my GP) and one of the first questions he asked was "is there any history of neurological disorders in your family"? To which I replied no but immediately started panicking. I questioned him about MS specifically and he said that although unlikely MS symptoms often come and go as flare ups, so it's worth speaking to my GP.

He also suggested I have vitamin B12 and folate blood tests as these deficiencies can mimic these symptoms, however I had these done at the end of November. Although my vitamin B12 was quite low at 221, it wasn't deficiency level. I should add I am Vitamin D deficient (levels at 29) but have received mixed medical advice on whether this can cause tingling! This has also scared me as I've read vitamin D deficiency can cause MS/ is common in MS patients.

Since then I haven't been able to get MS out of my mind and am convinced I have it, plus my symptoms felt much worse throughout the day. I can't see it being anything else. 😔 I truly believe my life is over, especially as I've read on average those with MS live 5-10 years less than others. I honestly can vision myself in a wheelchair being unable to speak.

I read a lot about the physical symptoms of anxiety being very similar to MS but I feel like these aren't my usual physical anxiety symptoms?

My health anxiety has been with me since 13 years old but has been MUCH worse since I had my gallbladder removed in August this year. I haven't felt fully myself since as the gallstone caused me to lose 2 stone in 3 months and I was only living off of rice, potatoes, bread and soup during this time, about 500 calories a day. I was also bed bound for most of this time other than trips to A&E. Since then my Googling has become much more frequent and I honestly believe I'm dying on a daily basis from something.

My anxiety riddled brain is thinking "if I was right about there being something wrong then (my gallbladder), what else will I be right about"? I spend so much time researching MS forums and a lot of the symptoms I'm experiencing have been listed by people who were diagnosed with it.

I'd really appreciate some advice as I've been told being referred to a neurologist and receiving an MS diagnosis can take months and how horrific the tests are. I really don't know if I can cope that long, I've already started to completely break apart over it. 😥
    Last edited by DanniDaniDanni; 01-01-22 at 03:42.

Re: It's MS, I know it is...

have bloods done, i had the same symptoms for 2 plus years and they have noticed i suffer low magnesium, potassium & calcium due to my ibs xx

I went through a period of this ,felt like someone was sticking a needle in my big toe,and pins and needle and strange sensation in feet. It went away though.Combination of anxiety and stress and maybe being run down? Try and stay off Google it is the worst thing you can do as you will just worry more.

Thanks for your reply. xx I don't suffer from IBS so maybe these deficiencies are unlikely?

Thanks for your reply. I am suffering from a bad cold so maybe I am run down.

I noticed last night that whilst lying in bed my entire left side almost felt numb, can this be caused by lying on it? I also felt numbness and tingling in my pinky finger. I really can't see it being anything but MS. 😥

Are you aware that health anxiety causes you to think irrationally?

I understand that anxiety can cause all kinds of tingle sensations, and if you are hyper-focusing on body sensations that doesn't help you are just waiting for next thing to crop up and stress about it. I think if you are anxious it needs to find an outlet somewhere. I get a numb tingle feeling sometimes in edges of pinky finger of both hands, also was getting weird sensation of water dripping on feet and legs(bizarre). You have taken best course of action and discussed with doc although sounds like you are catastrophising (I do this all the time and always go to worst case !!). I had a vit D deficiency and was given big prescription dose to get it up - and now take a supplement daily, maybe that will help.

Oh absolutely, I've had it since I was 13. Trying to remember each time I've thought I've had a serious illness I've been wrong but the anxiety always creeps back in with the "what if I'm right this time"...

Thanks for your reply! Agreed, I almost feel like I can feel every heartbeat in my body cos I'm so tuned in to it. Even though I tell myself to stop thinking about the tingling, that is still thinking about it!

I have been a worrier my whole life . I am aware of being anxious about my body and health at 5 or 6 years old, this was 50 years ago. "what if im right this time"..i have spent years worrying and catastrophising about tomorrow none of us knows what's round the corner so why let worry ruin your life today? so much easier said than done though when you have no control over it, wish i had an easy answer to stop mind racing . Im working through a CBT course on anxiety and I can see how this might help with unhelpful thoughts. Im probably last person to offer advice though considering states I work myself into.
    Last edited by sleepless65; 02-01-22 at 11:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information