Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another post about the dreaded “ninja bat”

Another post about the dreaded “ninja bat”

CW: rabies, mention of death

Tl;Dr: *worried a rabid bat bit me while I slept and/or on a walk.

*having trouble swallowing after a nasty sneeze(this has improved somewhat but still pops up.

• ⁠worried it’s going to get worse and I’m just 7 days of misery from death.

So I've always had a fear of rabies ever since I was a child. At first it was a fear of having to get the shots now however its the fear of either not noticing a bat bite or getting bit by a pet that has the virus but no one realizes it. I had a lot of success with therapy helping me rid myself of worries about the virus but occasionally I have flare ups.

I happen to be having one right now as I got cocky thinking I had overcome my illness to the point where I could read about the House episode where that was the ultimate diagnoses (House is a great show but its terrible for health anxiety) and when I got home that morning (night shift FTW) the door to my house was open due to a faulty doorknob (I checked the house and nothing was stolen and there was no sign of a break in thank God). Still my current worries are that a bat somehow got in and has bitten me without my noticing and now the countdown is on until I develop symptoms.

This has only been made worse because I noticed a bunch of scratches on my left arm ( and more recently my leg) that look to me like bat scratches and bites so now every bit of fatigue, every sneeze, every swallow makes every ache in the affected arm or leg me fear I’ve got rabies and I’m about to die a horrible death and never get to see my little nephew again.

Friday I had particularly nasty sneeze while I had my head tucked into my chest so I could sneeze into my sleeve and now my throat hurts and have trouble swallowing. Which is of course a major rabies symptom. So now I feel like this is the last 7 days of my life which will be filled with terror, pain and misery for me and my family. I know how dumb and pathetic it sounds writing it out but I feel pretty miserable, and to add to the fun I’m only 2 hours into my shift at work so I get to spend the next 6 hours working while terrified I’m about to die.

I don’t want to go to the doc and waste their time with my worries, especially since it’s too late for me to be saved if I were exposed, since I already “have symptoms “.

I’ve searched this sub and am glad to see I’m not the only one who feels this way how do you guys deal with it and why do you think this fear is so common?

Sorry for the wall of text but things are tense for me right now.

Also : a pox on the media for their sensationalist clap trap about bat rabies.

Re: Another post about the dreaded “ninja bat”

I have seen that House episode - something to note is that the man who had rabies was living in a cardboard box where the bats also lived. Like, multiple bats in a small area, so it's much more likely that he could have bumped one and gotten bitten.

Bats don't really want to bite you, but they aren't ninjas either. If you had one in your house, you would notice. If one was in your house, it wouldn't necessarily bite you either unless it was scared or agitated. So the chances of being bitten by a bat in your house are incredibly low, even more so being bitten without noticing.

I've had this fear too and I know how hard it is. I had construction done on my house last year so my attic space was open to below and I was absolutely terrified. But realistically, it just isn't that common. If people were bitten by bats with that frequency we would have many more deaths from rabies on the books because the symptoms early on are pretty non-descript. That we don't indicates that people really aren't bitten that much.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

I'm so sorry you're in the 'Ninja Bat' rabbit hole These are words on a screen and I know, based on experience, they won't offer you any reassurance but I do know that a day, a week, a month and a year from now, you won't have rabies. The real issue is finding a way to being able to rationalize these fears so they don't take over your life. I know with the the way things are in the world today, finding real life help is challenging at at best, but that would be the best way to proceed. Contact SAMHSA and see if they can help.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

And I continue to have off and on spurts of excess salivation and a sore throat. Ugh I’ll be glad when I get over this hump.

On another topic, am I the only one who thinks Ninja Bat would make an awesome cartoon/comic/ya character? He could teach kids about bats while fighting the evil Dr White Nose! (I’ve noticed humor helps me cope with this BS.

Why am I being followed by ninja bats?

Was outside at work yesterday and felt a slight stinging sensation around my shoulder blades. I felt it a few more times throughout the day on other parts of my back. Yet I still worry that I have again fallen victim to everyone’s least favorite super villain: ninja bat.

My illogical self is telling me;

1. I bets WAS a bat this time and since you didn’t go to the ER after work it’s now too late for the vaccine. Have fun dying! Can I have your PlayStation?

2. Hey buddy that pain in your neck isn’t like the pain you normally feel from you sh!tty pillow or the fact your sitting right under the AC which is currently blasting warm air on you! It’s the first symptoms, like that guy in Utah! ( are we allowed to curse on this forum?)

My logical self is saying

1. It was still daylight (albeit gloomy) and none of your coworkers saw a bat.

2. There were no marks on your neck , despite what the cdc says you would have seen SOMETHING if a bat got you.

3. Your neck pain is from your bad posture and the heater. You should have listened to your mother about slouching.

Alas the logical self can scarcely get a word in edgewise so if you guys could help my logical self out I’d appreciate it.

I apologize if the flippant tone of this post is offensive and for posting again so soon after my first post. Humor is how I handle my anxiety.

Thanks for your support guys.

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Felt a twinge of pain in my arm while I was asleep and noticed what looked like a bloodstain on my pillow (under the pillowcase). Now my anxiety ridden mind is screaming BAT.

Obviously I haven’t seen one in my room or in the house in general, still it seems like every time I make a step forward from my previous scare another one sets me off. I’m planning on getting a referral to a shrink soon so hopefully help is on the way.

Have you contacted SAMHSA ?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Not yet, I’m hoping to find a therapist myself working through my GP. My main issue will be getting time off therapy, my work schedule hasn’t once been in danger of being consistent and I worry that trying to get an Accommodation will piss off my hyper jealous coworkers.

Also now my arm is tingling and burning so that’ll make the rest of this shift fun…. Thanks again for your help.

I’ll get through this, I’ve done it before.
    Last edited by Inspector javert; 12-01-22 at 01:17.

So we just had a big (for my area) snow. I went to the gas station after work and someone’s dog had wandered onto the premises and followed me into the gas station. He left when I told him no and just hung around the station. I never saw his owner and I don’t recall touching him (that was tough because I love dogs).

I’m sure you know where this is going: part of me wonders if he bit me and I didn’t notice. Even though
    1. The dog was friendly and didn’t seem sick (cold maybe but not sick)
    2. Other people were interacting with the dog without issues.
    3. The dog had some kind of collar on (no rabies tag that I could see though) meaning he had an owner and was likely vaccinated or at the very least unlikely to contract rabies in the first place.

Still part of me wants to match into urgent care and embarrass myself by telling my story to the doctor who will probably give me prostate exam in revenge (lol).

I could use some reassurance/back up as I make plans to resume therapy (my schedule will be consistent soon so scheduling sessions will be easier).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information