Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm the last one getting the covid vaccine. Please help!

Re: I'm the last one getting the covid vaccine. Please help!

My first and main reason for getting it was that I didn't want to risk passing it onto anyone else (both my mum and husband were on the high risk list and I work in healthcare). I then wanted to have the vaccine as soon as I could because if there was anything wrong with it I wanted that ironed out before my son had it, I wanted him to be able to have some kind of a life (he's 25 now). At the time I would have volunteered to have it tested on me (I must have been going through some kind of heroic phase).

I had my first one in December 2000 and the second three weeks later in January 21. Honestly with both of them (Pfizer), I had a sore arm and was a little tired, but that was all. I had my booster (Pfizer) in October and I felt a bit off for about a week, but if I'm completely honest I had my flu jab at the same time and I think it was that that made me feel like that (I have felt a bit unwell after my flu jab before - not every time though).

So I've had both jabs and my booster and then in December I had Covid. Honestly it was really mild, sore throat for a couple of days, cough and maybe the odd headache. I do believe that having the vaccine helped and my symptoms were very very mild.

So, for me, the anxiety that came prior to having the jab was so worth it for the peace of mind that I had after having it, plus I do think it helped for when I actually did get Covid.

Hope that helps.

For me I think Covid is scarier than the vaccine. Although a small minority of people have a reaction to any vaccine, we've seen that Covid itself is far more unpredictable and deadly. So, the vaccine to me was a method of easing my Covid anxiety. Of course I felt some pangs of anxiety when I got it, but I was absolutely fine after all 3 doses - no side effects at all except maybe being a touch tired after. And, once I got the first one I didn't worry about the rest since I knew I wasn't allergic or anything.

I think it's an excellent plan to start getting your vaccines now and then you can look forward to being able to travel without problems.

You say you are worried about vaccine reactions but how do you think you would react if you started to experience covid symptoms now?

I've had 3 Pfizer jabs with no side effects. My adult son has had 2 AZ jabs and a Pfizer with no problems. He has heart and kidney abnormalities along with many other health issues.

I think antivaxxers are struggling now as more and more vaccine hesitant people are changing their minds and coming forward

And, once I got the first one I didn't worry about the rest since I knew I wasn't allergic or anything.
    Snap !

Hi lobbie,

here's my story, if it's any help: I'm 57, morbidly obese, I have hypertension and Type 2 diabetes. I may as well have a target painted on my back that says "Covid, kill me".

I have also had health anxiety since I was ten, so approaching fifty years.

The fear of Covid cost me heavily financially as I put myself into isolation, nearly cost me a source of income too as I am self-employed. It did even more damage to my mental health.

When the vaccines came out I looked into them as much as I could, soon spotted the disinformation and said to myself "this is safe for me". So I had 2x Pfizer in the spring of 2021 and I had my Pfizer "booster" in November last year.

Did I have side-effects? Yes. The first two jabs I had a little soreness at the injection site (well, someone had just stuck a piece of metal in my arm) and I felt a little fatigued for a day or two. When I had my booster, I had the soreness again but a couple of lymph nodes got angry with me this time instead of me being tired. They settled down after a few days.

Do I regret it? No. I do not pretend for a moment that were I to catch Covid, I could still end up quite poorly because of my pre-existing conditions. However, the possibility of me making an undignified and premature exit from this world in a hospital ICU with a pipe shoved down my throat is greatly minimised. And trust me, I have spent more time in hospital ICUs than a person should: I watched my wife die in one. But now I can go to work and as long as I observe the usual safety protocols, my risk is minimised.

This vaccination will be a future key to freedom: should Covid wane to the point of being little worse than a cold, that's great and all the vaccinations, vaccination passports, passes sanitaires etc. will pass into history. But if you want to go places now, then being able to demonstrate that you have done "your bit" will help.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    For me I think Covid is scarier than the vaccine. Although a small minority of people have a reaction to any vaccine, we've seen that Covid itself is far more unpredictable and deadly. So, the vaccine to me was a method of easing my Covid anxiety. Of course I felt some pangs of anxiety when I got it, but I was absolutely fine after all 3 doses - no side effects at all except maybe being a touch tired after. And, once I got the first one I didn't worry about the rest since I knew I wasn't allergic or anything.
    I did have side effects to the second (Moderna) vaccine as well as the booster. Muscle aches and fever, and just generally feeling tired. But, I'm way more afraid of catching Covid, so I will take those side effects every time if need be. Thankfully I have good sick leave at my current job and I am happy to take it
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

I would just like to say, good for you for not automatically saying “I can’t have this vaccine because my anxiety won’t let me”. You’re proving your anxiety wrong just by reaching out and asking for others help and experiences so you can get vaccinated.

My experiences are pretty similar to everyone else’s. I’m 42, morbidly obese (although have lost 80 lbs, so I’m creeping closer to just “obese” ), and a huge germaphobe. I also have pretty bad anxiety regarding any type of medications that I haven’t taken before. My mind will manifest all sorts of “side effects” and I’ll live in a high state of anxiety for days after. So I completely understand where you’re coming from. I honestly can’t say how I overcame my anxiety to get the shots. I just decided after stressing out over what Covid might do to me being so overweight, that I’d rather take my chances with the vaccines. I got Pfizer for all three. First was only a sore arm. Second I had a very low grade temp and some chills for about 12 hours. Third hit me a little harder, felt a little under the weather for probably 36 hrs or so, and then was just fine. I have no regrets about getting vaccinated, and I had no panic attacks or weird mind tricks in the days after the vaccines either. It was more a sense of relief that I was on my way to being better protected. I wish you the very best!

Probably the thought of having the vaccine is worse than the reality of having it and gaining protection from serious illness? It's about facing your fear and accepting that you may feel a bit "off" post-vaccine but that's ok and is a small price to pay for the benefit you will get both health-wise and in terms of lifestyle choices in the future.

You will of course make your own decision on this but I admire you for asking for help and facing up to your fears. It would be far easier to bury your head in the sand but you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    Don't get it. I haven't and I won't.
    I haven't had any vaccine. But, I'd never tell others to do the same. I am in the "healthy" category and if it happens to kill me that's my own fault. A lot of people are not and have a range of medical problems that means catching COVID could kill them. My Nan, and my brother, are two of them. I urged my brother to get it because he's overweight and has some lung issues. The risk for people like my brother is far higher, and it seems like you have absolutely no understanding of that.

I think anybody giving the sort of advice you are giving should be smacked with a ban hammer. If anybody follows your advice, and should they die, or become severely ill, the onus should be on your head for misinformation.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thankyou to everyone for writing down about your experiences. It really helps. I have also been talking to all the people I know that have gotten it in here and I'd say about 50% of them had no side effects at all while the other 50% had "mild flu-like symptoms" that you hear so much about.

Previously when I've taken vaccines (both as a kid and as an adult before I went on that trip right before covid) I've actually never had any side effects apart from a pretty sore arm for about a day. I hope that will be the case now as well.

I have booked a time for vaccination on the 28th of this month. I had promised myself earlier that I would do it in January so at least I feel a sense of accomplishment just from being able to do that 😅

I will be updating this thread after I take it (or even if I chicken out and cancel... but I'll try my very best not to do that) and I'll write about my experiences. Even if most people that want to have the shot probably have taken it by now maybe I would at least be able to help someone who have waited as long as me.

If someone else still wanna write about their story of getting the vaccine please do! I'm always grateful for everything you people share, whether it be good or bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information