Thread: Persistent thumb twitches

Persistent thumb twitches

Again, I would like to thank all those people who replied to my post about my severe sadness . I am little better today after reading all the replies, and I am not crying. But - as many of you know so well, one thing replaces another. So it is either fear, of sadness, and hopelessness.

I just wanted to ask something else: I in the last few days developed a persistent thumb twitch in my right hand. Some of you may remember that I had several months ago started getting all over twitches after a long lower eyelid twitch, but I visited my doctor , and talked to him, and he basically diagnosed me with the BFS. He was adamant that nothing else was going on.

I however, have had pretty severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome , confirmed in 2019. by EMG. On top of that , this past July a pretty heavy hair drier fell on my right wrist , and the pain was becoming very bad, and I pretty much lost normal movement, to the point that in October I had orthopedic doctor look at it and he gave me a steroid shot in that wrist. Over the course of days the pain disappeared, and I enjoyed it for only couple of months, because it started creeping back, the muscle that goes from the thumb towards wrist is pretty swollen, and then few days ago it started twitching, without letting up. It is twitching mostly at rest, I can clearly see it, and the thumb looks like it is shaking, or moving, but I believe it is the muscle twitch that makes it move. Now, my reasonable self thinks that in addition to Carpal Tunnel, and numbing, the actual accident could have really made it much worse, and damage a nerve there. But - what if it is Parkinson's? I certainly am not young any more, and maybe that is the beginning of it. I have no weaknesses, but, I developed insomnia (they say it may be the sign as well). Although, I am in a constant state of fear, so, who could sleep? Anyways, in addition to being truly sad, feeling hopeless and thinking that I will die soon - now I fear Parkinson's as well.

I know this is a long post, and I thank each of you who would read it and maybe reply.

Oh, BTW, I also currently have a bad flu, probably covid.
    Last edited by Lana; 04-01-22 at 20:38.

Re: Persistent thumb twitches

Hi Lana,

To put your mind at rest I can tell I had a twitchy thumb after a period of built up stress and worry. A friend of mine also had the same thing after a car accident. Its the nerves and it will eventually settle.
    As for the Parkinsons, I can also tell you my dad had this and never had a twitchy thumb. I know there are different types of Parkinsons but I wouldn't think an isolated thumb twitch would be a sign. If you want to put your mind at rest you can go and have a test with a qualified therapist privately or arranged through your GP.

Thank you so much Carnation.Somehow, everything piled up on me recently.

It's so hard when you get into one of these pile ons. I've been really stressed lately and it feels like EVERYTHING is twitching. I've had a persistent eye twitch for like 3 months and also get twitches in my leg and knee muscles, my feet, and even my abdomen! I know it's stress because when I'm not stressed, it stops. It seems completely reasonable that your thumb issue is directly related to the hand injury!

ErinKC

Thank you so much, and you are totally right. I emailed my doctor ( a very good internist who has known me for so many years), and did not get his reply as of now, but hoping.
    You are so right about how worsening anxiety bringing twitching again! BTW, I had lower eye lid twitch in September, going on for weeks...
    Last edited by Lana; 05-01-22 at 14:24.

I actually have a right thumb twitch right now- it’s been there for 3 days….

Thank you jojo!

Lana I get twitches all the time too, in fact when I had one of my most severe anxiety episodes last year I developed restless leg syndrome for a couple of weeks which was awful. My leg often still feels numb tingly and twitchy if I’m having an extremely anxious day x

Plus my hand goes a bit numb and ‘dead’ feeling if I concentrate on it too much…

Thread Information