Thread: Panicking about my son

Panicking about my son

I tested positive for covid on Thursday, my 18 year old daughter had symptoms a week before me and had multiple negative lateral flows. My 14 year old son showed symptoms a day before me, just cold like symptoms mainly but yesterday he started to get a fever, he is unvaccinated and I am starting to catastrophes. He is autistic and won’t take tablets so I have been giving him calpol which helps for a little while.

I am waiting for my gp to phone to discuss a prescription for liquid paracetamol but my anxiety is off the scale. I was hesitant about the vaccine because of risks and now I feel huge guilt that I didn’t take him. I’m so scared

Re: Panicking about my son

I'm sorry your son is sick rainbow. It's not a pleasant situation, and I imgine that the fact that he doesn't want meds makes you feel even more powerless...
    An adult son of a friend was recently in contact with someone who has corona. 2 days later he developed symptoms. He took 3 PCR tests over the course of 6 days, and all of them came back negative, so he definately doesn't have covid, just a common cold. Maybe that's the case for your son too?

Also don't blame yourself for not vaccinating your kid. You were acting in his best interest, and I am sure that you chcecked the vaccination risks for his specific situation. You took the decision that was right at that time. No need to feel guilty about it now.

If your son does have covid then at this point there isn't much you can do about it. He will need his mother to reassure him, care for him and console him when he feels unwell, so you will need to keep calm for him. Imagine how terrified will he feel if he sees his mother freaking out.

All I can suggest now is that you focus on the next task at hand (whatever it might be) and on making sure that your son sees you as calm and collected.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Is your son panicking at all, rainbow? Not that he should of course and maybe he is taking it all in his stride? I certainly agree about the importance of you remaining calm in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Is your son panicking at all, rainbow? Not that he should of course and maybe he is taking it all in his stride? I certainly agree about the importance of you remaining calm in front of him.
    No he isn’t panicking and I am absolutely staying calm in front of him, I’m an expert at doing that now considering every day for years I have been functioning with a high level of anxiety.

All you can do is pursue that prescription for liquid paracetamol for him which will help with his temperature and use the calpol in the meantime. There is no need to catastrophise, rainbow. It's good that he's quite laid back about this.. My autistic daughter is terrified about getting covid and giving it to me. Just look after him as best you can which I know you would do anyway. I know how hard it is to function with high anxiety and be responsible for others and you have been ill too so maybe now is the time for both you and your son to rest and recuperate?

Thread Information