Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Health Anxiety > General/Social Anxiety

Re: Health Anxiety > General/Social Anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    In my area you can either opt for CBT or for Counselling for Depression on the NHS.

In some private practices you can have an initial free phone consultation with a therapist and then you can get some idea of what they could offer you and whether they sound as if they could help you. CBT offers practical advice and potential coping techniques for managing anxiety which can be very helpful with panic attacks. Other forms of therapy are often offered such as ACT(Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) and various types of psychotherapy for longer term issues.
    Thank you.. I have started reaching out to CBT practises and individuals in my area, however as you mentioned before, I think there's quite a big backlog and the majority have closed their waiting lists.

Keep in mind the CBT course workbooks offered here. I used them in addition to one on one therapy for depression after my cancer.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by RVP View Post
    Thank you.. I have started reaching out to CBT practises and individuals in my area, however as you mentioned before, I think there's quite a big backlog and the majority have closed their waiting lists.
    In my experience there is a substantial waiting list for therapy-months- in private practice. I'm sure the pandemic has made a huge contribution to this and also the NHS offers a very patchy and limited MH service via IAPT which is aimed at mild to moderate issues so not appropriate for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    In my experience there is a substantial waiting list for therapy-months- in private practice. I'm sure the pandemic has made a huge contribution to this and also the NHS offers a very patchy and limited MH service via IAPT which is aimed at mild to moderate issues so not appropriate for everyone.
    I’ve managed to get a session next week by going private which I am really happy about..

Over the weekend I was a complete mess. Travelled away to family and then coming back home I kept having panic attacks whilst in the car (not driving) and in the end had to stop and stay at a relatives house for a couple days. Had to ring 111 and get prescribed diazepam which I think helped me get back home… but it’s been a nightmare.

I have been prescribed setraline before Xmas by my gp but I’m scared and anxious to take them based on what I’ve read on this forum, people having high Bp and high hr after taking them etc and that’s not going to help me if I take them, but I also know I may not get any symptoms.

Remember that these perceived side effects can be as a result of anxiety in taking a new med.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information