Thread: Worried about ALS - isolated forearm twitching

Worried about ALS - isolated forearm twitching

Hi - I’ve had a twitch in my left inner forearm now, just below where my elbow joint is which seems to happen when I’m texting or holding a cup etc when my arm is bent. It’s probably happening for a few seconds every few minutes or so and has been going on for about a week now. I’m also left handed so this is my dominant arm.

I’ve experienced multiple areas of twitching in the past and had an EMG which was clear but never just a consistent isolated twitch in one spot before.

Has anyone experienced this and it not been ALS? I’m not sure whether to go back to the neurologist or if there’s no need since I had an EMG which was normal 8 months ago.

I’m pregnant and have a 2 year old son so I’m really getting myself in a rabbit hole with anxiety about this at the minute.

Any help much appreciated.

Re: Worried about ALS - isolated forearm twitching

Yes yes yes most definitely. It is extremely common for a particular muscle to twitch on and off for days or even weeks. I had a muscle in my thumb that twitched all last week.

Re: Worried about ALS - isolated forearm twitching

I believe this is what some twitchers call a "hotspot."

Congrats on your pregnancy, by the way. I know it can be a really, really stressful time and spike HA considerably, as well as causing a lot of bizarre physical stuff. I had the aptly named "lightening crotch" for about a month, with shooting nerve pain so awful I literally couldn't put one foot in front of other, some days.
    I also injured a wrist due to tendon laxity (and guess what, it is STILL injured!), and for months I had horrible hot flashes accompanied by a runny nose, post-nasal drip, and some sort of palato-velar-eustachian tube dysfunction that caused my ears to pop and crackle and "close up" every few seconds for almost every single waking moment of my life, especially if I dared to speak. If that happened to me again now I'd almost certainly think it was a bulbar thing -- instead I was convinced I had listeria. Ah, the fears of yesteryears!!

The chances of you having anything wrong with a prior history of twitching, a current hormone soup loosening up the very things that connect your muscles to your bones, and most especially a clean EMG 8mo ago + young age + no description of any other red flag... well, let's just say I am way more worried about you coping as a normal new mom with a toddler, yeah?

Do you have a therapist or another anxious new mom you can talk to?
    Sending all possible best wishes to you and yours...

Thread Information