Thread: Tia, vertigo or bp

Tia, vertigo or bp

A few days ago I woke and turned in the bed. My head felt very strange. Much more than dizzy, as though my brain was moving almost. It happened a few times but not so much if I turned slowly. Scary 😟 Anyway as it was Saturday I rang my pharmacist to ask advice and see if I should call out of hours doctor. He said it sounded more like a blood pressure issue than vertigo since I felt fine once I was out of bed. He checked my blood pressure which is high quite often and for the first time in years it was 117/75! I was delighted but still concerned. I read about BPPV and tried an extra pillow to see if that helped. It has. I’ve felt fine since. I’ve tried getting an appointment to see my gp to be on the safe side and it’s so far been a pointless exercise. Always a huge queue on the phone or already booked up. The stress of trying to get an appointment is making me feel ill. The pharmacist gave no indication of suspecting a TSI (mini stroke) but in the absence of medical advice from a doctor this is where my mind is going. I’m due a bp check next week with my practice nurse. I will mention this to her and hopefully get some peace of mind. But meanwhile I really am thinking it’s much more serious than vertigo. If I had had a mini stroke would I feel generally ok so soon. My head is currently buzzing but I know almost certainly that is stress. Thanks to anyone reading this. Any wisdom gratefully received.

Re: Tia, vertigo or bp

I have bppv and it often starts when turning round in bed, just like you described. I dont think its caused by your bp, its triggered by head movements. Hope this helps x

If anything had indicated to the pharmacist that you were having/had a stroke they will have advised you to contact 999.

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    I have bppv and it often starts when turning round in bed, just like you described. I dont think its caused by your bp, its triggered by head movements. Hope this helps x
    Thank you so much this has reassured me.
    Last edited by Pearly queen; 12-01-22 at 18:12. Reason: Adding more

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    If anything had indicated to the pharmacist that you were having/had a stroke they will have advised you to contact 999.
    Thanks so much for your reply. Very reassuring.

I'm just wondering if amongst all this, it's actually nothing more than an inner ear infection - turning over in bed and the world violently spinning was the first indication I had one.

I'd expect BPPV in your case but I'm not a doctor. If you get another attack of this and someone is with you when it happens, ask them to look at your eyes. If they're flicking from side to side whilst the world is spinning it's most likely BPPV: you get your balance from your ears and your eyes and if your ears are saying something different to what your eyes are, your eyes will try and make sense of it to reconcile what your brain is being told - hence the odd movement.

I doubt very much if it was a mini stroke. I've had one and believe me you would know you've had one.
    If anything I would have thought your bp is a touch on the low side because it normally raises during a visit to the Docs and drops when you sleep. You could check with your GP about this. I wouldn't rule out an inner ear infection either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I'm just wondering if amongst all this, it's actually nothing more than an inner ear infection - turning over in bed and the world violently spinning was the first indication I had one.

I'd expect BPPV in your case but I'm not a doctor. If you get another attack of this and someone is with you when it happens, ask them to look at your eyes. If they're flicking from side to side whilst the world is spinning it's most likely BPPV: you get your balance from your ears and your eyes and if your ears are saying something different to what your eyes are, your eyes will try and make sense of it to reconcile what your brain is being told - hence the odd movement.
    Thanks so much for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I doubt very much if it was a mini stroke. I've had one and believe me you would know you've had one.
    If anything I would have thought your bp is a touch on the low side because it normally raises during a visit to the Docs and drops when you sleep. You could check with your GP about this. I wouldn't rule out an inner ear infection either.
    Thank you so much for your reply.

Thread Information