Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried I have Diabetes

Worried I have Diabetes

Last month or so I noticed this bruise like mark on my big toe, when I touched it I couldn't feel anything, it was completely numb. Fast forward to now and it's still there and I also have multiple red spot like marks on each of my toes on the same foot.

My hands and feet are always very cold as well and I'm worried it could be due to nerve damage due to Diabetes which runs in my family (I think it's type 2) I'm worried that if it is Diabetes, I'm going to lose my big toe or my entire foot.

I had a doctors appointment the other day and I have a fasting blood test on Monday 17th. I'm worried about possibly getting a diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 Diabetes. Maybe my bad diet has finally caught up to me.

Re: Worried I have Diabetes

And if it is, the worst case scenario is a change in lifestyle, diet and maybe meds. Certainly not fatal

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    And if it is, the worst case scenario is a change in lifestyle, diet and maybe meds. Certainly not fatal

FMP
    The worst case scenario would be losing a toe/foot/leg, the possibility of going blind or even death. Those are the things I'm worried about, and right now it's the possibility of having my toes or foot amputated, as I think I have it which is causing the numbness that's been there for a month.

Then go to the doctor

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Then go to the doctor

FMP
    I did, did you not read my original post? I had a blood test today, just awaiting for the results. Just worried about it, if anyone else here has Diabetes it would nice to hear your expirances with it, that might help my worries.

My dad has had diabetes for 43 years, he has all of hes toes. A diabetes diagnosis does not mean amputation!

Well, I've had it for over seven years now.

If it's type 2, in most cases it can easily be controlled by diet alone. In its early stages it's alleged to be reversible but I prefer to say it can be put into remission.

It's also a disease that progresses slowly. I know of one person who did lose toes and had poor eyesight, but he did nothing to help himself - primarily, he drank like a fish despite medical advice. Plus, this was the 1970s/80s where much less was known about the disease than now.

In short, to get to the point you fear you basically have to ignore everything a doctor tells you and even then it will take quite a time.

By the way - have you inexplicably lost a lot of weight lately?
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/symptoms/...ight-loss.html
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 17-01-22 at 21:16.

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    My dad has had diabetes for 43 years, he has all of hes toes. A diabetes diagnosis does not mean amputation!
    You're right, but since I'm starting to have problems with them for no reason and the fact it runs in my family, I'm worried that's what's causing the issue and it's affecting me already.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Well, I've had it for over seven years now.

If it's type 2, in most cases it can easily be controlled by diet alone. In its early stages it's alleged to be reversible but I prefer to say it can be put into remission.

It's also a disease that progresses slowly. I know of one person who did lose toes and had poor eyesight, but he did nothing to help himself - primarily, he drank like a fish despite medical advice. Plus, this was the 1970s/80s where much less was known about the disease than now.

In short, to get to the point you fear you basically have to ignore everything a doctor tells you and even then it will take quite a time.

By the way - have you inexplicably lost a lot of weight lately?
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/symptoms/...ight-loss.html
    If it is Diabetes and it's starting to affect me out the blue which seems to be happening, is that type 1? I know type 2 normally doesn't pop up until your 40s etc. And takes a while like you said to take affect. I'm 26. No, I haven't lost any weight, if I have it's not noticeable.

I work with a lot of diabetics through my job and it's only the most severe cases that result in amputation and to be honest the majority of those still live really good lives.

As you have both cold hands and feet it could be Reynaulds (not sure if I've spelt that right), talk to the doctor about this, during the winter months there is medication you can take for this and wearing extra socks/gloves can help.

The red marks could be chillblains, these can feel numb to the touch, they can also itch and be painful. These occur because extremities can struggle with the change in temperature. Your feet going from being cold to warm and vice versa. They're not entirely isolated to feet either, you can get them on your hands too. Maintaining as much of a constant temperature helps, don't sit in front of a fire to warm them up, don't go to bed with a hot water bottle on/near your feet. Wear extra socks in cold weather etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information